InDesign configurator - fail vs. error out

RunDontStop

InDesign configurator - fail vs. error out

Post by RunDontStop »

I am missing something basic here. In the configurator, I have "fail job with unavailable fonts" set to "yes". I sent a job through today and it failed for a missing font, "Lora.ttf". But the font is actually in the package fonts folder. If I open it in InDesign, there is no error, the font is there.

Digging further, I changed the setting "fail with unavailable fonts" to "no". The configurator creates the PDF. The font is embedded. All is well.

Needless top say, I am confused. Of course I want a job to fail if the font isn't there. So how to workaround this?

I set up a test job, and I actually removed the Lora font. On the configurator output, error out is set to "no". This setting to me actually seems to work as a font check. With the font not there, the PDF does not go out - even though the configurator setting is "fail with missing fonts=No".

I am rambling but here are my questions:

1. What is the point of the "fail with missing fonts" in the configurator setting, if the "success out" or "error out" connections that follow the configurator seem to perform the font check?

2. What is the difference? Fail vs error. They seem like the same thing. The fail isn't working properly - my job is failing when the font is present. The success vs error in the output connection does seem to work.

I know there has to be a reason that both fail and error are options, and you have the one in the configurator and the other in the output connection. Please help me understand the basics on this. I am hesitant to permanently change the fail font option in the configurator, because I don't want a PDF with a missing font. I looked for documentation on this but I cannot find it.

Thanks in advance.
saitok

Re: InDesign configurator - fail vs. error out

Post by saitok »

Hi,

I think the "Fail" is detected before opening INDD file.
I don't have 100% sure, but I guess the InDesign configurator refers to XMP of the INDD file to know which fonts are used in the document.
So, if you want to know the reason why the configurator doesn't work as you expected, how about looking into the XMP at first?
If you can upload the screenshot of the flow, I might be able to answer your other questions.

Regards,