Saving a PDF as "Reduced Size PDF" or "Optimized" from Switch

jochwat

Saving a PDF as "Reduced Size PDF" or "Optimized" from Switch

Post by jochwat »

Hello,

I've looked for all over for the answer to this one, and can't seem get any search hits whatsoever.

Using the Acrobat Configurator (natively or with Javascript), or some other method, is there any way to save out a file using the options Reduced Size PDF or Optimized PDF? I'm trying to compress files down as small as possible so they can be emailed, but need the files to be under 10MB. Am I only able to use the Pitstop Server preflight files to "fix" resolution issues and such, or can I use the Acrobat features as if I was manually saving a file?

Thanks,

Joe
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Saving a PDF as "Reduced Size PDF" or "Optimized" from Switch

Post by gabrielp »

jochwat wrote: I'm trying to compress files down as small as possible so they can be emailed, but need the files to be under 10MB.
I'd urge you not to do this. Nobody likes big attachments and its very easy to just link to an uploaded file with something like S3. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1178&p=4019

That said, there's a few ways to do what you're looking for. One of the best solutions is an app called PDFShrink: http://www.apagoinc.com/prod_home.php?prod_id=36 / https://www.pdfshrink.com/

You can also apply optimizations via PitStop in Switch with the "Optimization" option and also apply file reduction in action lists. We have an action list that reduces filesizes by using "Change image compression" and "Optimize document structure".

pdfToolbox also has some optimization features.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Saving a PDF as "Reduced Size PDF" or "Optimized" from Switch

Post by abailescollins »

Hi Joe
We do this a lot with PitStop Server, there are various Actions you can use to get the size down.
Resolution, compression, colorspaces, attachments, metadata, document structure, all of these can effect the size and be removed or adjusted.

Alternatively take a look at the new Enfocus PDF Review module for Switch, it can be fully automated, sends an email with a URL so the customer is seeing the actual high res production file, plus you know they are opening it in a viewer that supports prepress (overprint/transparency/separation view etc).

If you'd like to know more drop me an email 'andrewb@enfocus.com'
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com