Trying to split a PDF in 3 different peaces

tobt_knows_best

Trying to split a PDF in 3 different peaces

Post by tobt_knows_best »

Hey Guys,

is there anybody who could tell me how to split or a PDF in 3 peaces with different width?
I need to cut an document via (defined) action in peaces like:

148mm - 25mm - 148mm...

The hight would be 210mm - if necessary...
Is it possible to create an action for things like this in pitstop? I just could figure out that there are actions for splitting pages in half :/

Thanks for any help in advance! ;)
BR
Tobi
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Re: Trying to split a PDF in 3 different peaces

Post by Terkelsen »

If you duplicate the first page twice, so that you end up with a document that contains three identical pages. I'm not sure that this can be done in Pitstop, but if you have Switch it's easy. Otherwise you could duplicate the page manually in Acrobat.

Then you make an action, that selects the first page and set the media box to 0,0,148,210. Select page two and set media box to 148,0,175,210. Select page three and set media box to 175,0,301,210. You might want to change the other page boxes to the same size as the media box.

If you have switch, you don't need to make one document. You could just run copies of the document through three different actions.
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

If no switch at hand, you could use the CLI and calling it from a bash command. That way you could copy the source file & do the slicing three times to the specific output. I guess you may need only one action while using variables. The latter being set in the config xml file.
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

Hey, I just found that you can actually do it all in one action. If you open the one page document, make an action that inserts two new pages. Then select Page 1. Copy the selection to clipboard. Select page 2 and paste the content of the clipboard. Repeat this for page 3. This way you have a three page document with three identical pages. Then follow the directions I gave in my first answer and you have a three page document with each page being a different slice.

I have made the action. Let me know, if you want a copy.
quartzibexe

Post by quartzibexe »

I wish I saw this information soonerhappy wheels!
jslater

Post by jslater »

If you have access to the PitStop workshop videos, Andrew did one devoted to this problem back in May 2019. Here's the link:
https://learning.enfocus.com/course/view.php?id=227