Make Acrobat print with different printsettings

lombert

Post by lombert »

Hi

I have one flow there I need to get some pdf's gets printed on old postscript-printer, in this case an OCÉ VarioPrint 2100.

I have set up some Presets in the printer dialog, like 2-sided, staple or not and some more.

But I can't pick the witch preset I want to use in the Acrobat properties. Is there any how has any solution? Maybe an script or some other program that will use the properties then print an pdf.

Thanks for all suggestions..

/Thomas Lombert
Between jobs!
mattbeals

Post by mattbeals »

Qoppa has a print utility for Switch that can handle some of this. It can't touch all of the printer properties though. As I recall from my conversation they are writing their software in Java and there is a limit to what it can see. So the work around is to create printer instances with the various parameters desired. Then make them printers on the system and use the Qoppa tool to pick the respective printer.
I'm just a dude. Anything I say has nothing to do with any other person or company.
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

If you are on Mac OS X this could be done using Automator. By using the CUPS interface to the printers, you can make several instances of the same printer but with different settings. Then you can use Automator to print to these different printers.

Erik Terkelsen
lombert

Post by lombert »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Qoppa did not do the trick then you cant have different settings in that way.. But if you just wanted to change printer it would work..

I'll look in to CUPS, and see if it can do the trick..

My own solution was to use QuicKey (http://startly.com/products/quickeys/mac/4/) and Automator and it works almost.. ☺ Just some small things left to fix.. But it's not the best way to do it.. So if anyone have more suggestions I'm still looking.. (We have a lot of files how has to go this way every day)..
Between jobs!
Clive Andrews

Post by Clive Andrews »

lombert wrote: Hi

I have one flow there I need to get some pdf's gets printed on old postscript-printer, in this case an OCÉ VarioPrint 2100.

I have set up some Presets in the printer dialog, like 2-sided, staple or not and some more.

But I can't pick the witch preset I want to use in the Acrobat properties. Is there any how has any solution? Maybe an script or some other program that will use the properties then print an pdf.

Thanks for all suggestions..

/Thomas Lombert

How are you routing the PDFs - what have you gt that decides which output preset you need...? (XML..?)
lombert

Post by lombert »

For now all files gets in to the Client and there we pick from an drop-list with 6 different values.. Then I just use the normal folder routing and then setup 6 different Automator-ques with different QuicKey-settings..

I need to have some "Hold job", so two pdfs dont gets to the any of the Automator elements at the same time, then it will get some problems.. :)

Later, I'll hope our system-developer gets there feet out and makes an better XML-file then I can make the routing direct from the system and dont have to get it to the Client..
Between jobs!
Clive Andrews

Post by Clive Andrews »

That would help - if you have some xml, then you have some code that Switch can work on - even if it's as simplistic as a decision tree - then rather than 1 printer - you have, say 6, each with a different setting. You could just branch to the relevant one from the xml...