SmartStream 12 + Adobe InDesign 2017

sander
Advanced member

SmartStream 12 + Adobe InDesign 2017

Post by sander »

Anyone updated to SmartStream 12 + new configurators yet?

How's your experience? Let's share!

Long time Switch users, or HP users in this case, might already know upgrading can be very time consuming.

So instead of reinventing the wheel over and over again, let's create this shared experience topic ;)
LasseThid
Advanced member

Re: SmartStream 12 + Adobe InDesign 2017

Post by LasseThid »

I've downloaded the files from HP, but as it's a paid upgrade I have to wait until we get the new licenses before I can install.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

At least the trial is 90 days ;)
lombert

Post by lombert »

But then the variable just use the 10(?) first records.. :(
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Just tried and you are right, the trial is not a full trial. Limit to 20 records.

Waiting for the key now :)
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

I now have a key for SmartStream and I have also downloaded Switch 2017, so I'm gonna go ahead and ask for trouble... :lol:
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

To be sure: You've seen the mail with the updated Switch 2017?

Good luck man!
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Yes, I downloaded Swith 2017 from the links in the mail, so hopfully I should be good... :lol:
I have also upgraded the Adobe CC suite to the 2017 versions, just to be on the safe side... hehehe...
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

So far, so good...

Switch 2017 installed without a problem, as did InDesign 2017 and HP SmartStream Designer 12. (I have a Mac running Mac OS X 10.10.5)
I did have a few issues until I realized that I had to update the configurators in Help - Manage configurators... After selecting the HP SmartStream configurators and updating them to v120 those issues went away.

I then ran a test of a workflow using the HP SmartStream Designer and had a couple of problems with the Asset file location and Asset location URL. Once those were set properly the files ended up in the correct folders, but there seems to be an incorrect setting or something because the file goes into the error directory. Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge about the Indigo rip to check what have gone wrong, so I'm currently waiting for a colleague of mine to check what the problem is.

I do however have two issues that I think I will need to contact support about. Switch fails to connect to the Enfocus Appstore for some reason and the Flow elements list is empty, so I have to Right click and select Add in order to add elements to flows.

Update: Since I have been unable to get the rip to accept the jdf coming from Switch 2017 I copied the jdf before the rip deletes it, I then copied a jdf coming from Switch 13 and compared the two to see if there are any differences that might cause the problem. As far as I can see the jdf is very different, but unfortunately the technician I usually contact regarding Indigo issues is away on work and he wont be back until monday.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Here's a picture showing the differences in the configurators (highlighted in pink).

sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

So no SmartStream configurator issues but jdf issues? Ha, I did not see that one coming! Or are you mixing up SmartStream <> jdf configurators?

Maybe it's me, but I have a bad taste about the Enfocus Appstore not connecting. Probably that has something to do with the problems we all faced earlier with Switch failing to start due to the Appstore.

For me your story is enough to not upgrade for a while haha :D
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Ah well, it looks like that settings can't hurt anyone.

You got it working now?
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

The flow works as it should and the jdf and the pdf are put in the correct folders, but it seems like the rip for the Indigo throws an error and removes the jdf-file from the hotfolder. We are yet to figure out what setting we have to change in order to get it working. Most likely I wont get an answer until monday or tuesday unless I find some time to try every combination of those things that have changed in the HP Digital Front End JDF Controller. There are only 3 options for each of the variables that are different, so that's only 81 possible combinations... :lol:
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

You can post your jdf if you want, maybe a fresh look can help you!
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Great idea sander.

This is the jdf-file generated in Switch 13 with the settings from the previous screenshot (I added line breaks and tabs in order to make the file more "readable" for me when trying to figure out what might be causing the problem.)

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<JDF xmlns="http://www.CIP4.org/JDFSchema_1_1" Type="Combined" ID="rootNodeId" Status="Waiting" JobPartID="000.cdp.797" Version="1.3" Types="DigitalPrinting" DescriptiveName="P0_Switch13_Kasta-imposed-4876">
	<AuditPool>
		<Created AgentName="Enfocus~Switch - HP DFE JDF Configurator" AgentVersion="8" TimeStamp="2017-02-21T16:02:35"/>
	</AuditPool>
	<Comment Name="JobSpec">Switch</Comment>
	<Comment Name="RetainTime">3000</Comment>
	<NodeInfo JobPriority="25"/>
	<ResourcePool>
		<Media Class="Consumable" ID="M001" Status="Available"/>
		<DigitalPrintingParams Class="Parameter" ID="DPP001" Status="Available" Collate="None" PageDelivery="ReverseOrderFaceUp"/>
		<RunList ID="RunList_1" Status="Available" Class="Parameter">
		<LayoutElement>
               		<FileSpec MimeType="application/pdf" URL="FILE://HPRO2-SM1/Jobs-7800/JDF-asset/P0_Switch13_Kasta-imposed-4876.pdf"/>
		</LayoutElement>
	</RunList>
	<Component ID="Component" ComponentType="FinalProduct" Status="Unavailable" Class="Quantity"/>
	<Device Class="Implementation" ID="D001" Status="Available">
	<GeneralID IDUsage="QueueDestination" IDValue="Held"/>
	</Device>
	<LayoutPreparationParams Class="Parameter" ID="LPP001" Status="Available" Sides="OneSidedFront" Rotate="Rotate0">
		<ExternalImpositionTemplate>
		<FileSpec URL="urn:None"/>
		</ExternalImpositionTemplate>
	</LayoutPreparationParams>
	<RenderingParams Class="Parameter" ID="RP001" Status="Available"><AutomatedOverprintParams OverPrintBlackLineArt="false" OverPrintBlackText="false" TextBlackLevel="1.0"/></RenderingParams>
	<ColorantControl Class="Parameter" ID="CC001" Status="Available" ProcessColorModel="DeviceCMYK"/>
	</ResourcePool>
		<ResourceLinkPool>
		<MediaLink rRef="M001" Usage="Input"/>
		<DigitalPrintingParamsLink rRef="DPP001" Usage="Input"/>
		<RunListLink rRef="RunList_1" Usage="Input"/>
		<ComponentLink Usage="Output" rRef="Component"/>
		<DeviceLink rRef="D001" Usage="Input"/>
		<LayoutPreparationParamsLink rRef="LPP001" Usage="Input"/>
		<RenderingParamsLink rRef="RP001" Usage="Input"/>
		<ColorantControlLink rRef="CC001" Usage="Input"/>
	</ResourceLinkPool>
</JDF>
And this is what the jdf created in Switch 2017 looks like:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<JDF xmlns="http://www.CIP4.org/JDFSchema_1_1" Type="Combined" ID="rootNodeId" Status="Waiting" JobPartID="000.cdp.797" Version="1.3" Types="DigitalPrinting" DescriptiveName="P00000_Test_Switch2017_Kasta-imposed-7709.pdf">
	<AuditPool>
		<Created AgentName="Enfocus~Switch - HP DFE JDF Configurator" AgentVersion="9" TimeStamp="2017-02-21T15:35:43"/>
	</AuditPool>
	<Comment Name="GeneralComments">None</Comment>
	<Comment Name="JobSpec">Switch</Comment>
	<Comment Name="RetainTime">3000</Comment>
	<ResourcePool>
		<Media Class="Consumable" ID="M001" Status="Available" DescriptiveName="Use press default"/>
		<DigitalPrintingParams Class="Parameter" ID="DPP001" Status="Available" Collate="None" PageDelivery="ReverseOrderFaceUp"><MediaRef rRef="M001"/></DigitalPrintingParams>
		<RunList ID="RunList_1" Status="Available" Class="Parameter">
		<LayoutElement>
			<FileSpec MimeType="application/pdf" URL="FILE://HPRO2-SM1/Jobs-7800/JDF-asset/P00000_Test_Switch2017_Kasta-imposed-7709.pdf"/>
		</LayoutElement>
	</RunList>
	<Component ID="Component" ComponentType="FinalProduct" Status="Unavailable" Class="Quantity"/>
	<NodeInfo Class="Parameter" ID="NI001" Status="Available" JobPriority="25"/>
	<Device Class="Implementation" ID="D001" Status="Available" DeviceID="Retain on dfe"><GeneralID IDUsage="QueueDestination" IDValue="Held"/></Device>
	<LayoutPreparationParams Class="Parameter" ID="LPP001" Status="Available" Sides="OneSidedFront" Rotate="Rotate0">
		<ExternalImpositionTemplate><FileSpec URL="urn:None"/></ExternalImpositionTemplate>
	</LayoutPreparationParams><RenderingParams Class="Parameter" ID="RP001" Status="Available">
	<AutomatedOverPrintParams OverPrintBlackLineArt="false" OverPrintBlackText="false" TextBlackLevel="1.0"/>
	</RenderingParams>
	<ColorantControl Class="Parameter" ID="CC001" Status="Available" ProcessColorModel="DeviceCMYK"/>
	</ResourcePool>
	<ResourceLinkPool>
		<MediaLink rRef="M001" Usage="Input"/>
		<DigitalPrintingParamsLink rRef="DPP001" Usage="Input"/>
		<RunListLink rRef="RunList_1" Usage="Input"/>
		<ComponentLink Usage="Output" rRef="Component"/>
		<NodeInfoLink rRef="NI001" Usage="Input"/>
		<DeviceLink rRef="D001" Usage="Input"/>
		<LayoutPreparationParamsLink rRef="LPP001" Usage="Input"/>
		<RenderingParamsLink rRef="RP001" Usage="Input"/>
		<ColorantControlLink rRef="CC001" Usage="Input"/>
	</ResourceLinkPool>
</JDF>