Move files between different flows?

LasseThid
Advanced member

Move files between different flows?

Post by LasseThid »

I have a couple of flows that have been expanded several times and now they start to get out of control... :lol:
I'm thinking about splitting the flows up in smaller parts where at the end of one flow I put the file in a folder which also is the input folder for a different flow.

In this flow for instance I need to add a fourth option from the Bleed And Trim Set folder... :?

What I'm thinking to do is to put four output folders after Bleed And Trim Set and then have each of those folders be the input folder for a different flow. The same thing would be done for the Dismantled Job folder, but with three outputs. For the Body branch the output folder would then be the same folder as the Saddlestiched S output from the Bleed And Trim Set.

It's very important that the embedded xml data is preserved when moving the files back and forth between the different flows. :lol:
Will this work or will it only work as long as everything is done in the same flow?
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
Zoranj

Re: Move files between different flows?

Post by Zoranj »

It will work and while you can "roll your own", I would strongly suggest using Portals by Dominick.
It is free and works great.
I redesigned several of my "out of control" flows into neat groups of several small flows.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Thanks Zoranj.

I'll take a look at the Portals when ever I can find the time... :lol:
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

If you in the end folder set the property "Strip unique name" to NO, the job information will be preserved when the file enters the new flow.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Thanks Jan!
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Well, I spent a couple of hours modifying the flow and now it looks much better, atleast in my opinion and that's the only one that counts in this case... :lol:

Edit: I renamed the folders All Pages to Body instead as that's more correct...
diguimfodera

Post by diguimfodera »

I did some thing like this!

The Best way I found, was to use App "Portals" https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/portals.

For send files to other flow, you must make same setup in Properties element Scope: as Global to be recognized in other flow.
The amazing thing, is the variables, datas and metadatas are transferd to other flow too!

Incomming (element one flow)
Scope: Global
Channel: uniqueName

Outgoing (element put in other flow)
Scope: Global
Channel: uniqueName
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

I used Portals for a while, however for some reason I had a problem where Switch would report an error in the log every four seconds, so I uninstalled Portals. Now I use "portal folders" instead to route files from one flow to another making sure not to strip unique data.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

diguimfodera wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:36 pm The Best way I found, was to use App "Portals" https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/portals.

For send files to other flow, you must make same setup in Properties element Scope: as Global to be recognized in other flow.
The amazing thing, is the variables, datas and metadatas are transferd to other flow too!
Pretty cool, huh? I had to make my own version of "Pack" and "Unpack" to do that.
LasseThid wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:10 pm I used Portals for a while, however for some reason I had a problem where Switch would report an error in the log every four seconds, so I uninstalled Portals. Now I use "portal folders" instead to route files from one flow to another making sure not to strip unique data.
That's a bummer, man. Is it an issue listed here? https://github.com/open-automation/swit ... als/issues I can take another look at it.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.