Indesign Script Returned Error: %1

fphillips

Post by fphillips »

Hi everyone.

For testing, I'm trying to create a flow where an Indesign template is populated with some XML data.

I'm getting this error:

"Script returned error: %1"

This provides no useful information. When I activate the flow and the files travel fine until they come upon InDesign. Then the program comes into the foreground and then just sits there and never does anything. Eventually the error shows up.

Any thoughts? I am currently using a slipsheet script to accomplish this. And I also have the templates for the xml to map into. Indesign is also not running while the flow is active.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

What are the settings of the properties of the Indesign configurator? You should at least be using "Use script" for the "Open" property and you should be using the conventions as described in the online help: Introduction - Advanced topics for designing flows - Javascript for applications.

Freddy
gsingelmann

Post by gsingelmann »

I am getting the same error message.

A bit more information:

- This is not my first flow using InDesign, I’ve created dozens before but never had this error message AFAIR.

- This is on a customer’s machine. I did not install Switch nor Creative Suite myself.

- I’ve re-installed InDesign since.

- I know that before the customer installed CS6 he had for some time the demo of CreativeSuite CC installed. I do not know if it was deinstalled properly, before CS6 was installed. I am not even entirely certain what "deinstalled properly" would involve.

- The error occurs even with a InDesign configurator with default properties, i.e. just open, no command, save as InDesign.

- Immediately before "Error: %1" the log shows the error message:

"Executed VBScript returned invalid result: 'Function Execute(scriptFile) Dim objApp Set objApp = CreateObject("InDesign.Application.CS6") Execute = objApp.DoScript(scriptFile, 1246973031) End Function '"

Therefore I assume that the Interapplication Communication on this machine is broken. Running an InDesign-Script from ESTK works, though.

The question is: Can I fix this machine without reinstalling the whole lot?

Has anyone solved a situation like this before?

Thank you

Gerald
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

Is it possible that Switch is running as a Windows Service? Switch can't communicate with desktop applications if it is running as a Windows Service, which may explain the behavior you see.

You can find more information and a possible workaround on the following page:

http://www.enfocus.com/en/support/knowl ... ws-Service
gsingelmann

Post by gsingelmann »

Hi, I just noticed your answer. Thank you.

The InDesign configurator worked when the CC Demo was installed. It only started throwing the error when it was changed to CS6.

Your post gave me the idea to run Switch and InDesign "as Administrator".

I am not sure I understand why, but as long as the customer remembers after an occasional reboot to start InDesign and Switch as admin this should not be a problem

Thanks again.