Simple VDP PDF Merge

Rob_Wh

Simple VDP PDF Merge

Post by Rob_Wh »

We have a "simple" weekly set of jobs (if there is such a thing) that's been created in InDesign & historically output via the Data Merge to PDF panel but I'd much rather have it go through Switch. What's the most reasonable app currently available than can:

- Take a CSV file (or alternately use a Switch app to convert) to marry with an InDesign Template
- Generate individual PDFs based on the Job Number and a few Field names in the data set

No impo necessary, they're going directly to a digital output device.

I've seen Apago's PDF Constructor mentioned, HP SmartStream, maybe Callas pdfToolbox, not sure if they're way overpowered for this, or if i can do it via Scripting and inDesign directly? Thanks!

p.s. VERY new to Switch, so I'm still training & learning as I go. Any suggestions very welcome.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Simple VDP PDF Merge

Post by jan_suhr »

Well you have to split up that CSV into one XML for each row. That single XML is sent to InDesign that creates the PDF from the template and the XML-data. Naming of the files come from data in XML.

There is an app that take CSV and make XML from it
https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/csv2xml

Here is an example that creates business cards from an Excel file. Something like this is a way do solve your task.
Screenshot 2020-06-06 08.50.44.png
Screenshot 2020-06-06 08.50.44.png (56.17 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Rob_Wh

Post by Rob_Wh »

Ahhhhhh, I see! I've really got to re-train my brain to think differently with these Workflows.

I'll add the demo license to our Switch and see how far I can get. Thanks!
KenCratty

Post by KenCratty »

I would like to test your csvXML app. Can you send me the simple business card workflow in this thread?