Identify InDesign Package folder

RunDontStop

Identify InDesign Package folder

Post by RunDontStop »

Please forgive me I am struggling to learn Switch.
When I submit an InDesign folder package to the InDesign flow element it works great.
My question is: how do I identify a folder as an InDesign package before it goes to the InDesign flow element?
I know the folder contents are on level 1: InDesign file , Document fonts (folder), Links (folder).
My reason for this need. We get InDesign package art fairly often.But of course the job folder may not be an InDesign package. It might be Quark, or a folder full of PDFs.
If one of these goes to the InDesign flow element, the job understandably goes to the Problem Jobs folder. So, how do I filter out these non-InDesign package folders before needlessly sending them to the InDesign flow element?
smckinney

Re: Identify InDesign Package folder

Post by smckinney »

you should be able to change the property of the connector under "include these jobs" to define which files should pass to InDesign.

you can chose based on file type, pattern, expression, condition with variable, or by script expression.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (50.75 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Switch recognizes Indesign packages as such, so you can simply filter job folders on the file type Indesign.

An interesting app that I want to mention in this context is "Filetypes Counter" (it is part of the Folder apps). It creates private data tags with counters for the file type(s) you are interested in. If the counter for a certain file type is 0, you can draw your conclusions. I had a situation where a mail receive was expecting at least one of the following types: xls, xlsx, xlsm, csv. Approach: "Mail receive" collecting all the attachments in a folder, "Filetypes Counter" to collect counters for the file types in question, and then a condition that uses Switch.Calculation adding up the counters of all these files types. If the result of that calculation is equal 0 then it means the sender has forgotten to attach the correct file type. And in case you wonder: yes, the condition is being triggered on a regular basis :D
RunDontStop

Post by RunDontStop »

Thank you both for your assistance. Stupid me, didn't realize how the file filters work. Now I know – if a folder contains an InDesign file on level 1, it will qualify and pass on. I will look into the Folder app you mention.
I had an interesting condition last week. A zip file. Once unzipped, it was a folder. Within that was yet another folder. This sub folder was an InDesign package. When you submit the parent folder with the package folder inside to the InDesign flow element, it doesn't work. So I added Job Dismantler. It extracted the InDesign package subfolder, and that worked.
I guess a folder can contain anything, endless variables and you have to account for every possible condition. Thanks again.