HP Smartstream Designer VDP creates all files as warning

kcratty

Post by kcratty »

I have Switch 12, Smartstream Designer 10.1 and Indesign CC 2014 all running on Windows server 2008. All of the files generated result as a final file with warning. The log file only says warning and does not give a reason why. Has anyone experienced this?

I know Indesign CC 2014 does not support Windows server but it does seem to run just fine.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

kcratty wrote: I have Switch 12, Smartstream Designer 10.1 and Indesign CC 2014 all running on Windows server 2008. All of the files generated result as a final file with warning. The log file only says warning and does not give a reason why. Has anyone experienced this?

I know Indesign CC 2014 does not support Windows server but it does seem to run just fine.

Same issue here.

Here is the contents of my warning file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<SmartStreamStatus>

<Status value="Warning"/>

<StatusReportList>

</StatusReportList>

</SmartStreamStatus>

We are running OSX Yosemite, CC 2014, and Switch 12 Update 3. I was able to move forward by just allowing warnings to go through. The issue has been reported to HP but I haven't heard anything yet. Below is my latest communication with them (my issues in italics):

Starting after update to Switch 12 update 3, the only output out of the SmartStream VDP configurator comes from the "Warning" branch. The "Warning" log has nothing helpful.

This is a Designer issue, not Switch. We’ll look at the files, and try to simulate it since it’s the 1st we hear such behavior

Per another email where we tried to figure this out (but never went anywhere), if you run this job (in the SmartStream VDP configurator) as PDF with imposition set to "No", it will make a PDF unimposed but the font is all jumbled up. If you impose it and run it again, it works fine.

Again, it’s a Designer issue. We’ll also look for this with the supplied files.

Template selection with the SmartStream VDP configurator really sucks. You have to rename any database you want to process to the name of the template. In order to run this Postcard job, I need to rename the incoming database to "My InDesign File Name.csv" and then process it. What if I had important information in that filename? Now I have to write the old filename to metadata, rename to whatever so I can use the VDP configurator, then rename back to what it was before after the VDP. It's a huge pain in the butt.

You should make it so we can simply select the template name in the VDP configurator, allowing us to send any database (named anything) through

I’ll write it as a feature request. Should be simple to add but I won’t create a new version just for this. Once there’s a reason for a new version I can add this in as an option to select whether user wants to point to folder (in which case the naming of the db will decide which .hpd to use) or point to file

By the way, you don’t have to rename the db to the exact name of the template. The db can be named whatever (or .whatever or –whatever) so just add the template name as a prefix and then remove it from the output field’s name. no need to remember the name using metadata
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
kcratty

Post by kcratty »

HP got back to me last night. They sent me a new version of Smartstream design and it fixed the issue. I am now running 10.2

As far as your email concerning the file naming, I have my workflow starting with Connect ALL. The person submitting the job fills in the necessary information (Job Number, Client...) and that becomes part of the meta data. I have a file rename before the configurator to rename the file for the template then after the configurator to change the name back to the job number and client.
oril

Re: HP Smartstream Designer VDP creates all files as warning

Post by oril »

Hi
The redundant warning messages were an issue in SmartStream Designer 10.1.
Version 10.2 fixes it