Switch sometimes fails to move files

JBrs

Switch sometimes fails to move files

Post by JBrs »

I have a simple flow that will "move" files from FTP to an "originals" folder on our server. Then it "copies" out PDFs only into another folder after a cyclical hold of 10 minutes. All files in "originals" folder will delete after 7 days via another cyclical hold. Because all files in the "originals" folder will delete, switch adds a prefix to the filename. However, the PDFs that copied out keep the original filename. This works great most of the time. The problem is, switch does not always copy out ALL PDFs into my other folder. I cannot find a pattern but as an example, 30 files will come in through the FTP site, all 30 will move into "originals", but not all 30 PDFs will copy out---maybe 5 out of 30 will not copy out. I have to manually pull them out of the "originals" folder before they delete in 7 days and then take the prefix out. Any ideas?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Switch sometimes fails to move files

Post by gabrielp »

Could you post a screenshot of your flow?
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
JBrs

Post by JBrs »

Sorry, I'm new to this forum. It appears that I cannot attach an image. How can I show you a screen shot?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

You can upload it to something like imgur.com then just link it here or put it between the [img] tags to embed it.

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
JBrs

Post by JBrs »

http://i.imgur.com/WwU9gAT.png

See if this works. Can you view the image?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

I think the issue is you have two holds watching the same folder. I'm thinking that could introduce some unexpected behavior. I appreciate that you want to keep your flow neat, but breaking up your flow like this into segments is not really a best practice. You really want folders connected so that within the flow, you can logically see where everything is going without having to click on each folder to see if they are actually the same non-automanaged location.

Is Switch the only folder that accesses Originals? Or do operators or other folks use it as well? What is the purpose of Originals? Just to keep a 7 day backup in case you need to reprint something? Anything else?

If Switch is the only one that needs to access that folder, you can simply branch the FTP receive into two separate folders, then each into a hold and you should be good to go.

If others need to access original files, you might find it better to just archive them to another location. If you end up writing metadata, you can pack those too to save all of that.

JBrs

Post by JBrs »

Switch is the only one accessing the originals folder. I will try to branch the FTP into 2 separate. I didn't do it initially because I was afraid it might throw off the function that does not leave originals on server. I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome. Thanks!
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

I would pull the FTP files into one folder, then branch two different ways. Only if to make the flow more logical to read from a glance.

FTP receive (FTP receive)
--- FTP in (folder)
------ To temporary archive (folder)
------ To print devices (folder)