Warning! Do not restart Switch!

sander
Advanced member

Warning! Do not restart Switch!

Post by sander »

At the moment my Switch flows will not start, it looks like it can't connect to the appstore which is causing this issue.

Logs say this, and 'Start processing' is greyed out...
3/6/2016 08:53:45 Error Control Failed to check unassigned apps: Error: connect ETIMEDOUT
3/6/2016 08:52:23 Error Control Failed to get apps info: connect ETIMEDOUT
3/6/2016 08:51:39 Error Control Failed to connect to the Enfocus Appstore: [10060] Connection timed out

Login at the Enfocus customer portal also pops up errors:
The operation cannot be completed at this time.
Please try again in a few seconds.

If my feeling is right at the moment, Switch wants to call home before it starts, and due to problems at Enfocus' server side it prevents from starting.

Based on that feeling I just wanted to post a warning message, don't restart your Switch server if it's running at the moment!
Last edited by sander on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Advanced member

Re: Switch not starting

Post by sander »

Just got my reseller on the phone! Other customers face the same problem.

DO NOT RESTART!
lombert

Post by lombert »

sander wrote:Just got my reseller on the phone! Other customers face the same problem.

DO NOT RESTART!
To late! :(

But I got it to start again, for now. But can't quit Switch App and other things..

Got this from Encocus right now:
There is an issue with the provider who hosts our webservices, including the Appstore. They are working on the fix.

If you have Apps installed (even if it is only a trial), then Switch 13, update 1 is checking the Appstore for the Apps licenses. If that is not working, then it will not start. We are at the moment looking for a solution to be able to start Switch while there is a connection issue.

The next update of Switch will not have such issues.
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

lombert wrote:The next update of Switch will not have such issues.
At least that was the call I was going to make haha.

How did you manage to start Switch? Luck?
lombert

Post by lombert »

sander wrote:
lombert wrote:The next update of Switch will not have such issues.
At least that was the call I was going to make haha.

How did you manage to start Switch? Luck?
Yes, I think so. Some small period of time everything is working, and then it stops to work again.

But the strange thing is, I don't have any apps from the App store, so it feels it looking there anyway. And then it came throw it se all is ok, and then it starts to checking again after a short time and the problems begins again..
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Re: Warning! Do not restart Switch!

Post by sander »

Same here, not using any apps, so I guess Enfocus support is wrong with this statement: "If you have Apps installed (even if it is only a trial), then Switch 13, update 1 is checking the Appstore for the Apps licenses. If that is not working, then it will not start. "
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

15 minutes ago Enfocus said it would take another 15-20minutes to fix.
Tick tack :D
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Working again! Had to force close Switch and start again.

That's one hell of a programming fault over here..
lombert

Post by lombert »

I think my has be "stable" for an hour, no error pop-ups.

Good that it is fixed, (for now).
Between jobs!
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

Thanks for keeping us updated. We do an automatic restart of our Switch server every night so I was concerned.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

I would like to clarify some things on the issue with the Enfocus Appstore this morning and correct the communication around it.

This morning our hosting provider had an issue with one of our servers which is used for the Enfocus Appstore, which caused issues in Switch:

If Switch was already running:
- Switch will give errors indicating a connection issue to the Enfocus Appstore.
- Searching for Apps from within the flow elements pane did not work
- Logging in using your Enfocus ID did not work

If Switch is started, then it communicates with the Enfocus Appstore if there is a user logged in in the Switch About panel. This is done to check if the user purchased Apps or started App trials. If there are already Apps installed (purchased or in trial), then Switch will do additional communication with the Enfocus Appstore to check for updates.

If Apps would have to be installed or updated, then flows might change (for example if an App added or removed a property), therefore flows can only be started after the communication with the Appstore is completed. This morning Switch waited a while for a response from the Enfocus Appstore and during that time it was not possible to activate flows, this is why the Activate flow button was not available. The time it waits depends on the complexity of the Switch installation and if there are Apps installed or not. In some cases it can take a long time.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused by the downtime. We are already working on solutions so we can to avoid that such a downtime happens again in the future and to make sure that in the extreme event that it happens again the next version of Switch will be able to handle it without affecting production.

Jonas Yde
Enfocus Support
lombert

Post by lombert »

Is this back?!?

Gets error messages that says "Failed to check unassigned apps: Cannot get data from Web Service"

As I wrote this I get info about it is our internet-provider that has a problem, but why can't I start up Switch in some "local-mode" so our production is not effected by something like this?

Another update ( I write slow); after the popup has came up 3 times I can start the flow again..
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

lombert wrote:but why can't I start up Switch in some "local-mode" so our production is not effected by something like this?
This is what I hate about software calling home, last time I even searched the internet for a crack because our whole production got stuck for a few hours. Why don't create some other software protection, a hardware dongle or something ;)
lombert

Post by lombert »

Yes, or automatic gives the system a 24 hour "do not check" then it can't comunicate with the server..
Between jobs!
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

Please note that the software mechanism with the issue is not our intended behavior. Starting from the next version it will gracefully handle the situation where it can't connect to the Appstore. We will fix it in the next version and we apologize for all inconvenience caused by it.

I would also like to explain that the communication to our servers on Switch startup is not for licensing reasons, it is only done to check if the user purchased new Apps or requested an App to be updated. This kind of communication is technically necessary for an Appstore to work. (Off course it should be able to handle the situation where the network connection is not working.)

For our licensing there is only communication with our servers at the moment you manually activate, deactivate or repair a license.