Switch Not Processing

DtM

Switch Not Processing

Post by DtM »

I've got a bit of weird one.

It used to happen maybe once a year but over the past few weeks it seems to becoming a daily experience.

For some reason Switch will just stop doing...anything! I don't get any error messages, but if I look at a flow there will be files in it not moving.

The only way to get things moving again seem to be by restarting the whole server which is undesirable.

Sorry for being vague but there really ins't anything much to go on that I can see.

Has anyone experience this? Does anyone have any ideas for where I can look/what I can try to diagnose the issue?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Switch Not Processing

Post by gabrielp »

We've experienced the same thing. We "solved" it by setting our Switch server to restart every day automatically.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
DtM

Post by DtM »

Do you have anything particularly clever setup in regards to stop processing, start processing etc. or are you just doing a standard system reboot?

I don't know whether it's correct or not but it was instilled in me while learning Switch that you should always stop processing before restarting the server.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

I'm pretty sure this cron line is all we do (this probably isn't recommended but it solves this problem and unmounted folders not remounting properly):

Code: Select all

59 23 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r +1;

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
DtM

Post by DtM »

I wish I knew what caused it. I thought that it was particularly high yield of files but sometimes that isn't the case.

Interestingly Pitstop Server also seems to stop processing files when it happens.
lombert

Post by lombert »

gabrielp wrote:We've experienced the same thing. We "solved" it by setting our Switch server to restart every day automatically.
gabrielp wrote:I'm pretty sure this cron line is all we do (this probably isn't recommended but it solves this problem and unmounted folders not remounting properly):

Code: Select all

59 23 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r +1;
Can you tell some more how you do this? I feel that we also have some strange 'hold ups' that only solves with a restart.
Between jobs!
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

Can you report the issue to Enfocus Support? This way we can check what causes it and make search for a fix in the next version. Depending on what causes it we might even find a workaround in the current version.

You can report it via the Support Portal:
http://enfocus.com/supportportal

Please provide as much information as you can (exact Switch version, OS version, exported Switch messages, ...)
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

lombert wrote: Can you tell some more how you do this? I feel that we also have some strange 'hold ups' that only solves with a restart.
On OSX, you can use cron (crontab -e). The line you add to your crontab is the code I included above. I would do a little bit of reading on cron before doing this. If you're running Switch on a PC, you have to use something else other than cron.