Split PDF

Wadey77

Split PDF

Post by Wadey77 »

Hi Guys,

New to all this, So please be gentle with me :roll:

Just wondering what is the best solution to Split say a 20pp PDF to give the result of two files with Pages 1,2,19,20 in one PDF and 3-18 in the other.

i.e...

Original 20pp File = 12345.pdf

End Solution = 12345_1.pdf (Pages 1,2,19,20)
End Solution = 12345_2.pdf (Pages 3-18)

I've been playing with the Split and Merge but not quite getting to the end result required,
So some pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Re: Split PDF

Post by Terkelsen »

There might be more elegant ways to do this, but I guess this would work:

1. Use Split PDF to split the file into single pages with a suffix "_index"
2. Use Job dismantler to get all these files out of the folders created by Split PDF
3. Make two connections from this folder. One that allows only files which filenames contain _01 or _02 or_21 or _22 and set the other connection to allow "All other files".
4. You now have two folders. One containing page 1,2,21 and 22, and one with all the rest of the pages. Make an Assemble Job on each of these two folders. Set the first to assemble after 4 jobs and the other after 18 jobs.
5. Use Merge PDF to merge each of these two PDF's
6. You might have to use Rename to get exactly the filenames you want.
Wadey77

Post by Wadey77 »

Thank you for the response, I've gone a slightly different route but it certainly helped.

Thanks again.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

The method Erik describes is correct, but it is best to use variables so it works for any number of pages. The key variables in this respect are [Switch.Calculation:...] in combination with [Stats.NumberOfPages]. You will also have to "remember" the number of pages before splitting the file. What I usually do to store such a value is to put it in the job state. All the properties of a job are propagated to jobs that are derived from it; in other words, the job states of the individual pages are the same as that of the multipage job and can be used in the Switch.Calculation.

An alternative approach is to use PitStop Server with Action Lists to remove pages. In the "Select pages" Action you can use reverse selections when selecting a page range. The selection for the first two and last two pages is: 1,2,R1,R2; for the other pages it is: 3-R3.
lombert

Post by lombert »

freddyp wrote:An alternative approach is to use PitStop Server with Action Lists to remove pages. In the "Select pages" Action you can use reverse selections when selecting a page range. The selection for the first two and last two pages is: 1,2,R1,R2; for the other pages it is: 3-R3.
Very good to knew!! Thanks!
Between jobs!
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

There is an app that do this for you called Uncover PDF.
It will take the first two pages and the last two pages and save them to one PDF, the rest of the pages will be in a second PDF.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps