Gang jobs from multiple tickets

cwswitch

Gang jobs from multiple tickets

Post by cwswitch »

Many jobs of many kinds arrive at Switch.

Imagine I filter off the business cards and filter some more, resulting in a few folders where the size, stock, and finishing of the jobs there are suitable for ganging together. After a bit of time I release them.

Can I then pull the job numbers,
Merge the files from the separate jobs,
Gang them up via imposition (I have a solution for this)
Then name the resulting gang with the various job numbers
cstevens

Re: Gang jobs from multiple tickets

Post by cstevens »

How are the jobs coming into Switch? Is there some type of metadata file (i.e. XML) that has all the information about these files that comes with the PDF?
cwswitch

Post by cwswitch »

Yes, I have XML. Though it does not tell me that jobs are related. I could easily have business cards, A5's, banners and books all under the same series.

Jobs in a series are have numbers like this:

If these contain business cards then I'd like to get the PDF from each, merge and gang
cstevens

Post by cstevens »

You'll probably want to focus on sorting the XML files based on some kind of information inside them. To do this I'd look at two elements in Switch:

1. Assemble Job - Assemble job can group files based on file name patterns, or numbers in files which should encapsulate orders with the series you listed below.
2. XML Pickup - XML pickup loads the XML data into Switch's internal metadata and allows you to perform actions on that data. Once you've picked up an XML file you can use connectors from a folder to conditionally route those files based on fields in the XML. For example if /order/@media = "Heavy" then go one way, otherwise go the other way. Within a connector's properties one of the options for include or exclude jobs is to "Define condition with variables" This option will allow you to create a path to a specific field in the incoming XML and then create a condition based on the value in that field.

Hopefully that will get you started.