Pick up PDF again...

eriklars

Pick up PDF again...

Post by eriklars »

hi there.
Despite the cryptic subject i believe this is a fairly easy thing to achieve, i hope...

We are using XMF Workflow, and we would like to rip pdf´s trough XMF and then get them into the workflow again.

Structure is something like this:
Submit point (Meta:emailadress, orderno) -> XMF Hotfolder(rips the pdf and outputs to a dropfolder) -> XMF Dropfolder

So, my question is how can Switch monitor the XMF Dropfolder for the PDF, pick it up and send it to PDF Review Module?
How do i get the metadata to follow the file?
With the above workflow i'll break the "connection"...

Any ideas?
r.zegwaard

Re: Pick up PDF again...

Post by r.zegwaard »

I guess that the "Generic Application"-tool is exactly what you need.
Generic application is a processor that functions as a stand-in for a third-party hot-folder application.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

Hello Erik,

One simple way is to set the output folder in Switch to keep the uniqe name i.e Strip unique name = No. then when the file come back to Switch it knows which file it is and insert the Metadata again. There is a time limit on this so it isn't perfect.

The better way is to export the metadata to XML before it leaves the flow, and send that XML file to the input folder on the return flow. When the file comes back (then it must have the unique name removed) it has the same filename and you can use the XML Pickup tool to get the metadata back. This solution has no time limit, the XML file will wait for ever until a file with the same name appears.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,
I use to work with Fujifilm XMF representatives and usual demo is to make use of the generic app indeed.
eriklars

Post by eriklars »

I will try the xml-approach and the Generic Application, but XMF Workflow is a bit stupid right now...

The problem i´m facing now is that Switch sends the PDF to XMF´s hotfolder, but, since Switch adds an Unique Prefix, i.e. underscore, XMF refuses to pick that file and process it.

I believe this is because in windows a filename that starts with underscore is like hidden, or seen as a system-file.

So, are there any settings for the unique filename that Switch adds to all files?
I tried the Rename-application, but didn´t work...
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

I think you need to dump the metadata into an xml-file before sending the pdf to XMF.
Then send the xml-file to the output folder for the ripped pdf and the pdf to the XMF input folder.
After that you add an XML Pickup that will add the metadata to the ripped file.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
eriklars

Post by eriklars »

I think i´ll open a new thread concerning the unique prefix-problem.

The first question _should_ be resolved, something i will know for sure when XMF starts picking up the files...
Talk about catch 22...
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

If you set the folder not strip unique id then XMF will pick up the files, BUT at the same time you loose all metadata from the file (if I'm not completely mistaken), Hence the need to dump the metadata to an xml file that you can pick up after ripping the pdf file.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.