Issues with Samba shares [QNAP NAS]

NEOSA

Issues with Samba shares [QNAP NAS]

Post by NEOSA »

Hi All,

We met this week an issue with tools ("Folder" or "Archive Hierarchy" ) responsible to copy/move a job toward a Samba network share.

Both "Folder" or "Archive Hierarchy" produce the same results, asset files are not visible once copied from Windows 7/10 Clients over this Samba share :-(

Files are visibles by using AFP Protocol from a Mac Client, files are really present & can be viewed with the File Browser of the QNAP NAS. This QNAP NAS has firmware version 4.3.4.048 Build 20180215.

There is no ownership troubles once the asset is copied over this Samba Share (User & group is correctly done).

Issue has been fixed by using the "Safe Move" to "No" instead of "Yes".

Have you ever met the same situation ?

Thanks for sharing.

Ciao
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Issues with Samba shares [QNAP NAS]

Post by Padawan »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1164&p=6510&hilit=safe+move#p6510

This page mentions that disabling safe move disables the ".~#~" prefix. That prefix starts with a dot, which means that on mac, unix and linux systems it is a hidden file because of that. Does your QNAP has some rules to not show hidden files to Windows shares?
boxclever

Post by boxclever »

Hi Neosa
I have the same problem here with all our NetGear Ready Nas': the problem has not been resolved checking safe move to "no".
Our older IOMEGA Nas' do not have the same problem nor does our Infrant Nas. All Windows servers of course are fine.
Our quick fix is to scan the destination folders on Nas drives and if something is moved then a simple bat file will run to make files visible.

Sean
NEOSA

Post by NEOSA »

Padawan wrote:viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1164&p=6510&hilit=safe+move#p6510

This page mentions that disabling safe move disables the ".~#~" prefix. That prefix starts with a dot, which means that on mac, unix and linux systems it is a hidden file because of that. Does your QNAP has some rules to not show hidden files to Windows shares?
Hi Padawan,

No at all : files copied onto the NAS are not copied with a "." prefix, even if "Safe move" is set to YES or NO.

I've been able to reproduce the same issue with a second QNAP Nas (different model but Firmware 4.3.4.0537 Build 20180331).

If I try a such copy over a Samba share (Mac OS X share) : no troubles !
Below, this screen shot show 2 files (visible and available from an Windows 10 Client), but the Archive Hierarchy (Qnap base) show zero file !

I spoke with a friend, he also has a customer with a such setup (Switch V2017 - Windows + QNAP NAS) : same issue encountered, but the "Safe Move" to No did not fixed..

I gave a call today to Enfocus Support to show them, DevTeam will try to cal me back .

Ciao