Office365 mail

LasseThid
Advanced member

Office365 mail

Post by LasseThid »

We just switched to Office365 and I'm having problems connecting to the mail server when receiving e-mail. Sending e-mail works perfectly.

This is the error I get in the messages window:
Failed to connect to mail server smtp.office365.com; error message: NTLM authentication: Timeout.; SASL DIGEST-MD5 authentication: Timeout.; CRAM-MD5 authentication: Timeout.; APOP authentication: Timeout.; SASL Plain authentication: Timeout.

Mail receive settings
Mail receive settings
Skärmavbild 2018-05-22 kl. 15.45.38.png (89.5 KiB) Viewed 8130 times
Any ideas as to what might be incorrect in my settings?

Solved.
The server name and port number were incorrect. Once I changed them everything started working as it should... :lol:
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
vernonvd

Re: Office365 mail

Post by vernonvd »

Hi LasseThid

check you incoming mail server setting "In the 'Incoming mail server' field type outlook.office365.com" and the port 995. i did not test this myself.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Yup, That's what I found in an e-mail our IT sent to me.
Once I changed the settings it all started working.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
RickMarsan

Post by RickMarsan »

Any idea why I keep getting, "Failed to connect to mail server outlook.office365.com; error message: x0001 BAD User is authenticated but not connected." SMTP works fine, but Mail Receive, with settings herein, won't connect or won't pull email.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

This page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 6c4ac95353 lists other settings than the ones you use.
RickMarsan

Post by RickMarsan »

Thank you! I had tried various combinations of those IMAP and POP3 settings, with no luck. Other suggestions? If it matters, this is a Windows 2019 Datacenter server running Switch Spring 2021.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Systems are moving more and more towards newer technologies so IMAP and certainly POP may not be enabled for the account with which you connect to Office365 mail. Check that with your IT.

The most modern and therefore often preferred technology for authenticating is OAuth2.0. If that is what you need, you should start using this app: https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/mail-auth20
RickMarsan

Post by RickMarsan »

Thank you, again, @freddyp! Tried that and got virtually same message:

Code: Select all

Mail receive component failed during operation perform: User is authenticated but not connected.
IT said IMAP, POP3 & OATH are enabled. Other possibilities?
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Conceptually there are three components involved: the mail server, the mail client and the firewall.

The mail server has its settings for allowing certain authentication and communication technologies. The mail client (Switch in this case) has to stick to the rules of the server. If the mail server only allows OAuth2.0 for authentication the client will have to use that, etc.

Next to that a mail server also has a certain degree of user management. We have recently had problems ourselves getting the OAuth2.0 to work for a certain mailbox. In the end it turned out it was not configured as a mobile user. I only have an abstract idea of what that means because I have never seen the Office365 administration UI myself simply because I have no access to that. I am sure there is a bunch of other user settings.

By the very nature of the setup between a cloud-based mail server and a mail client there is a firewall between the two. Again I have never managed a firewall myself but I know that these things can block or allow anything based on protocols and IP addresses. When we recently switched our production Switch to a new computer, that computer had to be whitelisted on the firewall for communication with the mail server.

In your case it would seem that the first point is not an issue. Also the firewall seems to be OK because there is communication with the mail server. That would bring us to one of the user settings, but I will not bet any money on this.

My feeling is that it is a pure IT matter. Perhaps other users can share similar experiences.
RickMarsan

Post by RickMarsan »

All fixed. Contrary to what I was told, IMAP wasn't enabled. Sorry for the trouble and thank you, very much, for the really helpful responses!
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Are you saying that you cannot always believe what IT tells you? :lol: