Flow to extract file location when submitted

Sean IO

Flow to extract file location when submitted

Post by Sean IO »

I am trying to create a submit point that will extract the file path from where the file was submitted from. The flow I want will pull the file path and parse the job number from the original location of the file, avoiding the user from entering the info.

I have tried the metadata field 'Job.Origin' from the submit point but the sample job shows the path on the local machine(where Switch is installed).

Am I attacking this right or should I be going about this a different way?
RichardStemp

Re: Flow to extract file location when submitted

Post by RichardStemp »

If the entry point for the file is a Submit Hierarchy element, you can attached hierarchy info (ie. where the file was submitted from)
RichardStemp

Post by RichardStemp »

Have you tried adding a metadata field to the Submit Point, so the file location could be pasted in?
Sean IO

Post by Sean IO »

Richard,

Can the Submit Hierarchy element be defined as a Submit point in the web portal?
RichardStemp

Post by RichardStemp »

No, not that I know of.
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

In the old legacy client the Origin variable gave the info you are looking for.

The new webclient doesn't give this info. The reason is that webbrowsers (Firefox, chrome, safari, IE, ...) don't give this information to websites such as the webclient. Since the webclient can't see this information he can't give it to Switch.
andyf

Post by andyf »

Hi Sean,

Same issue when we started using the webclient when archiving the files back on to the server, we lost the hierarchy.

Our work around was to create our own path back to the server by creating a couple of databases for the client and job number from the incoming jdf file associated with the artwork and renaming them with the client name and job number exactly as it is used on our server. We access these through the submit point meta fields with a script expression that points to the databases and used this info to create the hierarchy path. This is displayed as dropdown menus that the operator can select from.