Combining specific pdf's into 1 pdf file

CGXTex

Post by CGXTex »

Hello everyone,

I have built a flow (that works) that takes certain pdf's from a repository folder and combines them in a certain order into 1 pdf.

I have done this with a combination of 'Inject Job', assigning a job state to specify the order, and 'Assemble' and 'Merge'.

This works for all purposes so far, I am just wondering if there is a more efficient or easier way to go about this.

Thanks,

Dave Tecson

dtecson@cgx.com

281-723-3540
davidvd

Post by davidvd »

Hi Dave,

I think it mainly depends on how complex you're trying to be and how "changeable" your solution needs to be. At one point I wrote a relatively complex script that was easily configurable to allow collating PDF files; either files in an incoming job folder or copied from an absolute location. But whether you want to go through the expense of either creating or buying such a script really depends on what you want to accomplish.

If this is something relatively simple you need to do only once I would probably stick with the kind of solution you've found. If it changes often or is used in multiple places, I would more likely think about a script.

Kind regards,

David.
CGXTex

Post by CGXTex »

davidvd wrote:

Hi Dave,

I think it mainly depends on how complex you're trying to be and how "changeable" your solution needs to be. At one point I wrote a relatively complex script that was easily configurable to allow collating PDF files; either files in an incoming job folder or copied from an absolute location. But whether you want to go through the expense of either creating or buying such a script really depends on what you want to accomplish.

If this is something relatively simple you need to do only once I would probably stick with the kind of solution you've found. If it changes often or is used in multiple places, I would more likely think about a script.

Kind regards,

David.

Thanks for the reply David,

Its not the changeability so to speak that is the issue. Its more the volume and work preparation that is concerning. I will have a few hundred repository pdf files that will be put together in specific combinations resulting in 80 or so single pdf files.

It was time consuming to do 18 files to create 5 'end files', so I am just looking for a more efficient way to approach this.
davidvd

Post by davidvd »

CGXTex wrote: Its not the changeability so to speak that is the issue. Its more the volume and work preparation that is concerning. I will have a few hundred repository pdf files that will be put together in specific combinations resulting in 80 or so single pdf files.

It was time consuming to do 18 files to create 5 'end files', so I am just looking for a more efficient way to approach this.

Yeah, when you describe it that way it sounds like a scripted solution could be more efficient. How do you know which files you need to combine in which combinations? In other words, is it for example easy to have an excel spreadsheet or CSV file that contains the combinations?

If all of the files are in a repository and you could create a CSV file that shows which output you want, it is probably about half a day to a days work to create a script that reads the CSV file and outputs correct job folders so that the 'merge PDF file' tool does the actual PDF file merging for you...

Kind regards,

David.