Rename job issue

LasseThid
Advanced member

Rename job issue

Post by LasseThid »

I have a couple of flows where I use GMG Color Server for color conversion. For some reason the jobs will get stuck at the GMG Color Server configurator if the file name contains the nordic characters å, ä or ö, so in order to make sure the files doesn't contain these characters once they reach the GMG configurator I use a number of Rename jobs to fix the issue.

Skärmavbild 2019-07-10 kl. 15.27.12.png
Skärmavbild 2019-07-10 kl. 15.27.12.png (27.44 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
If I submit one file at a time this works perfectly.
If I submit more than one file at a time and send them as Separate jobs the flow will rename the files correctly.

If I submit more than one file at a time and send them as One job the flow will not rename the files, even though I use a Job dismantler to make sure the files are not in a folder once they reach the Rename Job elements.
If I submit the job as a folder the flow will not rename the files correctly.

Any ideas at to why the Rename job will not work if the files were submitted as a folder? (Switch 2019 Spring Edition)
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Rename job issue

Post by jan_suhr »

You have in the Rename job element the option for "Files inside jobfolder". What is your setting there?
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

You do not explain what you do to get rid of the Nordic characters. The easiest method is to use the action "Reduce character set - Portable ASCII". That gets rid of everything that looks "weird" and you need just 1 rename, and not multiple as I can see in the screenshot of the flow. If you also activate the option to remember the original name (which gets stored in private data), you can also quite easily rename the file back to the original with just 1 rename after it was processed in GMG.

@Jan: if the files are renamed inside the folder it will not be possible to go back to the original name, and they have to get out of the folders anyhow in order to be sent to GMG.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

@ Freddy: In the Rename Job element I had it set to Search and replace, Act on Filename proper, Search for å, replace by a, Repeat Recursive. The same for ä, ö, Å, Ä and Ö. I also added a search and replace for ¨, but I still had problems with files getting stuck at the GMG Color Server. I then found out it depended on how you submitted the files. Also I did have a Reduce character set in the flow, but the only thing it did was to change ä to a¨. It turned out I had it set to Local8bit though. Changing it to Portable ASCII did the trick.

It's still interesting though that depending on the way you submit a file the Rename job may or may not work the way you think it will.

@ Jan: I had the rename files and folders set to 5 nested levels and to add a suffix if there was a collision, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, any files that for some reason end up in a folder is directed to the JobIsFolder and consequently dismantled before going to the Rename job element as GMG, as Freddy says, will not accept incoming folders.

Anywho, all good now that I have the Reduce character set set to Portable ASCII.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.