Variable folder paths

Jack Wenlock

Variable folder paths

Post by Jack Wenlock »

Hi guys,

I have a load of hot folders that I need to use for imposition purposes, but by the looks of it we can't have variable paths in the 'folder' element on Switch. Is there a workaround?

E.g I have templates such as 'Indigo 12K_210x210_SS_32pp_self_Switch', and ideally I'd like to replace the '32' in '32pp' with the [Number of pages] variable. This would mean I could have one folder as opposed to a lot more.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Variable folder paths

Post by jan_suhr »

You could create a variable as Private Data on the folder.

Like this:

Code: Select all

impose=12K_210x210_SS_[Stats.NumberOfPages]pp_self_Switch
In this example "impose" is the Key for the Private Data variable that you later use to pick up the value for your imposition

[Job.PrivateData:Key="impose"]
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Jack Wenlock

Post by Jack Wenlock »

jan_suhr wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:16 pm You could create a variable as Private Data on the folder.

Like this:

impose=12K_210x210_SS_[Stats.NumberOfPages]pp_self_Switch
In this example "impose" is the Key for the Private Data variable that you later use to pick up the value for your imposition

[Job.PrivateData:Key="impose"]
Thank you for the reply, I haven't used private data yet. How would I assign the private data to the last folder (the hot folder)?

My flow is this, and obviously it doesn't work with the variable where it is: https://gyazo.com/a289a2543e5cf08610aacf4fc6c46ca3

I have the 'impose=12K_210x210_SS_[Stats.NumberOfPages]pp_self_Switch' set in 'Set job private data' in the 'IN' folder also, assuming that's correct.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

Isn't it a value that you send to the Indigo element to select the imposition setup? If so you can use the private data there for that property.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Jack Wenlock

Post by Jack Wenlock »

jan_suhr wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:32 am Isn't it a value that you send to the Indigo element to select the imposition setup? If so you can use the private data there for that property.
We don't use the built in imposition for all elements of imposing for the Indigo yet (it will be a solution in the future for us) but for now, our imposition software (which we use for litho aswell) supports hot folders so we use that.

So somehow I'd like to make a variable path in one folder element that works based on the [Number of pages] variable (or a working alternative). Otherwise I'd have to have about 55 folders in my flow rather than 5!
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

You should take a look at my app Automatic Imposition,
https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/pro ... imposition

It requires no hotfolders, it can too, and can be controlled by variables. It will only need one hotfolder on the printer.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
john.dean@esko.com

Post by john.dean@esko.com »

Greetings,

I'm not sure if I'm too late to the game, but if I understand correctly, you are trying to direct a PDF to the appropriate hot folder for imposition based on the page count.

Try using a combination of "Set hierarchy path" and "Archive hierarchy."
1) In the Set hierarchy path configurator:
- Action: Add at the top
- Path segment 1: Single-line text with variables defined = 12K_210x210_SS_[Stats.NumberOfPages]pp_self_Switch
2) In the Archive hierarchy configurator:
- Path: (this will be the parent folder where the hot folders reside)
- Subfolder levels: 1

As always, test this on a non-production flow to be sure you are getting the results that you expect.
Somewhat familiar with Enfocus products.