Modularity in flows: best practices

patej

Modularity in flows: best practices

Post by patej »

Hi,

I'm looking into finding the best way to make our flows more modular to make developing easier.

For example, I have several flows each of which use the same way to create low-res PDFs. I would like to move the elements involved with the low-res creation into a separate flow with input and output folders, which the other flows could then use. The problem is that the flows using this low-res flow try to each grab all of the files that arrive into the low-res output folder and not only those files that originated from that flow.

I think this can be accomplished in many ways and am therefore looking for advice to choosing the most efficient and quickest way. I think this can be done e.g. by:

- adding the uniquely named flow input folder to job hierarchy and from low-res output pick only those jobs that have current flow's input folder in its hierarchy=1

- add a job state (I still don't quite understand what the states are for, people seem to use them in many different ways..) unique with each flow and check for that state when picking flows from the low-res output

- saving the s.FlowName to a privateData in the job and using that info when picking flows from the low-res output

So basically what I'm asking is that what ways you think are the wisest to use considering speed, reliability and simplicity?

I appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Best regards,

Patrik