Assemble.Jobs coming from different flows at vastly different times

dmorgan

Assemble.Jobs coming from different flows at vastly different times

Post by dmorgan »

The prior operator of our system created a flow that uses the Assemble job command to archive processed files.
This is cool and I understand how it functions pretty well.

If 6 jobs come in at relatively the same time with the prefix B123456_, and these are all combined and put into folder B123456 in the path we have specified.

This works for the conditions originally set, in this case it's after 12 minutes elapse, or 9 files arrive.

The problem is If another file comes in named B123456 half an hour later ? It will trigger the Assemble.Job command again, and that original B123456 folder and the 6 files contained in it will be overwritten and completely deleted with a new folder and the 1 single file.

In the Assemble.Job command, under "Duplicates" I only have options to Overwrite, Keep unique name, Add version number, or Fail.

If I overwrite, the folder is completely overwritten.
If I Add Version Number, the folder itself will be amended and have a new name.
(Folder B123456 B1234562 B1234563 are also created, for example)

I do not want this. I have a flow we're building that may include proofs or other files sent several days apart. I want to be able to place these files into the folder based on the ticket number in the file (in this example B123456) but not completely nuke the folder if it exists already.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

-Dan
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Assemble.Jobs coming from different flows at vastly different times

Post by Padawan »

I think you will need the folder structure with the hierarchy tools instead of assemble job.

Hierarchies are a bit much to explain from scratch, so it might be best to check the documentation. Basically, you will need to send your file to an archive hierarchy element. Before that you will need to adjust the hierarchy metadata so the archive hierarchy element knows where the file should end up.
billy.olvestad

Post by billy.olvestad »

dmorgan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:23 am The prior operator of our system created a flow that uses the Assemble job command to archive processed files.
This is cool and I understand how it functions pretty well.

If 6 jobs come in at relatively the same time with the prefix B123456_, and these are all combined and put into folder B123456 in the path we have specified.

This works for the conditions originally set, in this case it's after 12 minutes elapse, or 9 files arrive.

The problem is If another file comes in named B123456 half an hour later ? It will trigger the Assemble.Job command again, and that original B123456 folder and the 6 files contained in it will be overwritten and completely deleted with a new folder and the 1 single file.

In the Assemble.Job command, under "Duplicates" I only have options to Overwrite, Keep unique name, Add version number, or Fail.

If I overwrite, the folder is completely overwritten.
If I Add Version Number, the folder itself will be amended and have a new name.
(Folder B123456 B1234562 B1234563 are also created, for example)

I do not want this. I have a flow we're building that may include proofs or other files sent several days apart. I want to be able to place these files into the folder based on the ticket number in the file (in this example B123456) but not completely nuke the folder if it exists already.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

-Dan
In this case, I would not use "assemble job".

I would just let the files go through on their own, and save the prefix to a private data variable (in case the file changes name somewhere and the prefix is lost).

Then at the end, when it's time to archive the job, I would use that private data variable to "set hierarchy path", under "path segment 1".

Then after that I would use "archive hierarchy", and set it to save to the folder where all the assembled folders are saved, and set "subfolder levels" to 1, "strip unique name" to "yes" (if you know that the files themselves are never going to have the same name, otherwize I would set it to "no" to keep switch own job number).

This should make the files end up in the same folder in the end.
dmorgan

Post by dmorgan »

^^Thanks. I will look into the documentation on these elements and work on constructing paths this way.
I appreciate being pointed in the right direction. If may have follow ups. :)
dmorgan

Post by dmorgan »

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a tutorial on YouTube that may be explaining what I need into subfolders...

[/quote]

<snip>

Then at the end, when it's time to archive the job, I would use that private data variable to "set hierarchy path", under "path segment 1".

Then after that I would use "archive hierarchy", and set it to save to the folder where all the assembled folders are saved, and set "subfolder levels" to 1, "strip unique name" to "yes" (if you know that the files themselves are never going to have the same name, otherwize I would set it to "no" to keep switch own job number).

[/quote]

Okay, I got this to work, That's fantastic.

One final question, if I wanted to set up a subfolder...

I now have the flow correctly putting jobs in the proper folders..
BigRootFolder\B123456\B123456_Print.pdf

If I have a flow where I want to set a subfolder -> The documentation isn't quite clear on that.. Or I'm just not familiar with the functions.

Let's say in the above example I want to put "PROOFS" from another flow into a "PROOFS" subfolder

BigRootFolder\B123456\Proofs\ where would I specify that? In the "Path Segment 2" line in "Set Hierarchy Path"?
billy.olvestad

Post by billy.olvestad »

dmorgan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:25 pm EDIT: Nevermind, I found a tutorial on YouTube that may be explaining what I need into subfolders...

<snip>

Okay, I got this to work, That's fantastic.

One final question, if I wanted to set up a subfolder...

I now have the flow correctly putting jobs in the proper folders..
BigRootFolder\B123456\B123456_Print.pdf

If I have a flow where I want to set a subfolder -> The documentation isn't quite clear on that.. Or I'm just not familiar with the functions.

Let's say in the above example I want to put "PROOFS" from another flow into a "PROOFS" subfolder

BigRootFolder\B123456\Proofs\ where would I specify that? In the "Path Segment 2" line in "Set Hierarchy Path"?
That is correct. Each "Path segment ..." represents a subfolder in the hierarchy.
dmorgan

Post by dmorgan »

Thank you! Got it now, sweet.