Automating print to pdf to make separations

dmorgan

Automating print to pdf to make separations

Post by dmorgan »

Hi all,
Short version:
I'm trying to make a PDF workflow that will take our incoming files built with spot colors and make separations automatically.

We send files to a vendor to make engraving dies from files that are built with spot colors. For single color jobs, we have an action that converts the files to all black before we send the files to the vendor.

But we have a handful of multiple-color jobs per day as well that we need to make separate dies for the different colors.
Currently we manually open the PDF and select Adobe PDF as the printer and set it up to make separations the way we need them. (we have a preset so it's not hard to do, it just adds time and manual touches)

The volume is increasing, and it's taking up more and more time to "fix" these.
I'm trying to replicate that functionality in a Switch workflow so I can drop a multi-color PDF into an input and get a separated PDF out, and reduce our manual touches on these files.

Is there a way to do this using an Illustrator or Acrobat configurator in Switch? Or Acrobat Distiller? We have configurators elsewhere but they only alow me to "save as" PDFs using the PDF preset, and I can't seem to set up a PDF preset that will give me separations. It's only through the print preset box that I can do separations.

Is there a way to automate this through Switch?

jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Automating print to pdf to make separations

Post by jan_suhr »

I suppose you have PitStop Server with your Switch and then you can create a Action List that deletes all object except the ones with a specific color name. You have to setup different branches in the flow, one for each color you want to keep and in that way you will accomplish your task.

It requires also that your color names are known in advance.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps