Illustrator configurator scripting

Azrael113

Illustrator configurator scripting

Post by Azrael113 »

Hello, I'm new to the switch community and I'm just getting used to it.

However, I have inherited an existing, quite extensive, switch environment and have to learn to manage it.
I currently have a problem with the Illustrator configurator. There are some Java scripts for controlling Illustrator that no longer work.
The call in switch looks good. All variables are filled correctly and all paths are configured correctly. I was also told that all scripts have already worked without errors. However, they also failed from time to time.
From my point of view, the scripts are not called at all or passed to Illustrator.
The Illustrator icon in the configurator was colored and the path was set correctly. But I clicked on "search for application" and then the icon was gray. So I suspect that the connection between switch (2018) and Illustrator CC2018 is not working. The version of the configurator is 10. I could update it to version 12. But I suspect the problem is not there. By the way, Illustrator is installed on the standard path. However, there is also a - no longer supported - installation of CS5.1 on the system. Switch may also be bothered by it.

Can one of you help me?
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Illustrator configurator scripting

Post by jan_suhr »

Instead of "Search for application" you should use "Set path to application".

You are sure that Illustrator isn't updated to the latest version. The Switch configurators for Adobe applications usually lags a while before they get updated to match the latest versions. It is good to keep Adobe applications in Switch at the version you know works. Disable any autoupdates on the Switch server for the Adobe applications.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Azrael113

Post by Azrael113 »

Hi Jan,
thanks for the quick answer. I have already set the path manually. The Illustrator icon is then colored, but the script is still not executed.
Somehow switch fails to connect to Illustrator.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

You also have to make sure the ExtendScript Toolkit is installed. It used to be installed by default, but that is no longer the case.
https://www.adobe.com/products/extendsc ... t.htmlESTK
Azrael113

Post by Azrael113 »

The ESTK is installed. I can run the scripts in Illustrator and they work fine. The variables are also correctly filled by switch. Is there any way to test that the connection between Illustrator and switch is working correctly and that Illustrator is responding?
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

What does the Debug messages say? Klick on Messages to show that in your browser.

You might need to enable Debugging in the preferences for it to show up
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Azrael113

Post by Azrael113 »

The logging of debug messages is activated in the basic settings.
When I call up "Messages" using the button, I get an extensive list in the browser. But in it I don't find any reports about the flow or about Illustrator.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

You can filter the messages to only show for that Illustrator element by its name.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Azrael113

Post by Azrael113 »

That's right. However, no messages are displayed for Illustrator, the affected flow, or the job. Even if I enter the information in the browser's search field, I don't get any hits. When I filter for debug messages, I don't see any entry at all.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Has there been a change in the setup of Switch that it is now running as a service? If so, that will not work.

Installing the latest version of the configurator is also a good idea (you can always go back if need be).

Try by not having AI open when the script starts, so Switch opens it.

Try with a very simple script that displays a dialog to see if that works:

Code: Select all

alert("Hello World");
Azrael113

Post by Azrael113 »

Has there been a change in the setup of Switch that it is now running as a service?
Unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean. "Has there been a change in the setup of Switch that it is now running as a service?"
Can I look it up somewhere? Unfortunately, I have not received any information about changes to the setup.

Switch does not start Illustrator.
I already had the idea with the "alert (" ")" and used the call in a script. No message appears in Illustrator. So I suspect that something is wrong with the connection between switch and Illustrator.
Azrael113

Post by Azrael113 »

I have now deleted the old Illustrator CS5.1 installation and updated the Illustrator configurator to version 12.
Now when I click "search for Application" Switch will find Illustrator CC2018 automatically. So I don't have to set the path manually anymore.

Otherwise nothing has changed. The scripts are still not being executed.
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

Azrael113 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 pm
Has there been a change in the setup of Switch that it is now running as a service?
Unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean. "Has there been a change in the setup of Switch that it is now running as a service?"
Can I look it up somewhere? Unfortunately, I have not received any information about changes to the setup.
If you are running Switch on Windows, then it is possible to setup Switch to run as a Windows Service. When Switch is setup like this, then the Illustrator configurator (and the other Adobe configurators) won't work. You can find more details here:

https://www.enfocus.com/en/support/know ... 000jfcfIAA

You can check if Switch is running as a windows service like this:
- Open Task Manager
- Open the Services tab
- Check the "Enfocus Switch Watchdog" entry.
If the status column says "Running", then you are running Switch as a Windows Service and that is causing the Illustrator configurator to not function.
Azrael113

Post by Azrael113 »

There ist an entry "Enfocus Switch Watchdog" in the service list. But its status is not running (on my german system the status is "beendet" like stopped).
So I think that's not the problem.
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

Does using the default Illustrator configurator functionality work? (Without using custom scripts)
If not, please check the messages again for any relevant messages