Single Line Text with Variables

Whirlpool_Prepress

Single Line Text with Variables

Post by Whirlpool_Prepress »

I have a single line text with variables set up for a path creation but am having trouble figuring out how to customize it a bit..

I have set the job variable to be [Job.Hierarchy:Index="2"] and it is behaving how I would expect... what I am hoping to do though is take that output and begin at the 10th character?

Example:
Folder that is being created is called "D200303XM_Memorial_Day_Holiday_Assets"
The folder that I would like it to create is "Memorial_Day_Holiday_Assets"

The input will always have a 9 character job number followed by a "_" so my hope is for it to always begin by reading the hierarchy at the index 2 level and then beginning at the 10th character... is this possible?

Thanks in advance everyone, this is a great community and resource for people learning the ropes like myself!!
patej

Re: Single Line Text with Variables

Post by patej »

Hi,
If I understood you correctly that you already have "D200303XM_Memorial_Day_Holiday_Assets" in the hierarchy index 2 and you want to use single line text with variables to get "Memorial_Day_Holiday_Assets", then you can use the Segment field and set it to use characters e.g. 11-999:
Whirlpool_Prepress

Post by Whirlpool_Prepress »

Yes!!!!! So simple, and of course now that I see how it works also so obvious. MUCH THANKS TO YOU
patej

Post by patej »

I'm glad I could help and welcome to the community! :)
MrFox

Post by MrFox »

Latecomer to this party, but surely 'After_' is the easiest solution (assuming your naming structure is consistent)
patej

Post by patej »

MrFox wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 am Latecomer to this party, but surely 'After_' is the easiest solution (assuming your naming structure is consistent)
Actually that doesn't work because as it states in the documentation, "After" extracts “The substring after (and not including) the last occurrence of the search string” so it doesn't work if you need something after the first underscore.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

MrFox

Post by MrFox »

patej wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:52 am
MrFox wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 am Latecomer to this party, but surely 'After_' is the easiest solution (assuming your naming structure is consistent)
Actually that doesn't work because as it states in the documentation, "After" extracts “The substring after (and not including) the last occurrence of the search string” so it doesn't work if you need something after the first underscore.
Well that little insight has saved me from some definite future frustration. Was not aware of that. Cheers