Moving big files

PdFUser5000

Moving big files

Post by PdFUser5000 »

I have a submit hierachy point to which a script copies illustrator files. 95% of the time the files are small size 10-30mb. but sometimes we have files that are up to 1gb. In those cases, switch moves the file before it has been fully copied to the folder and causes an error. When moving big files, illustrator creates a TMP file, and when the timer hits, a 0 kb ai file is moved and the tmp file remains in the folder.

I can set the Scan every seconds to something long, but this seems unreasonable because then the smaller files will also wait there for a long time.

Is there any other ways i can make switch wait for the big files being fully copied?
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Moving big files

Post by freddyp »

Switch has a preference "Process file only after (seconds)". This is meant for cases where big files are coming in. Switch will only pick up a file when its size has not changed for the number of seconds defined in that preference.

And that is exactly what happens. The big tmp file grows, but the 0Kb AI does not change, so Switch thinks it is complete and picks it up.

There is also a property on "Submit hierarchy" called "Minimum file size (KB)". Set that to a value that is not 0 and see what that brings.
PdFUser5000

Post by PdFUser5000 »

Changing the minimum file solves the big file problem, but creates another one. I also have xml files coming into that folder, which sometimes are smaller than 1kb. If i set the submit hierachy with minimum file size 1kb, the xml files are not picked up.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

You can split the flow to run only the XML-files through another Submit hierarchy element.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

For submitting the XML files separately as Jan suggests you can use the app "Submit file spec" from the "Folder apps" bundle:
https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/folder-apps
PdFUser5000

Post by PdFUser5000 »

Submit filespec does not allow to use network folders. Can you please explain how to run XML files through another submit hierarchy?

When i try to use the same submit hierarchy twice, the ai file is moved to problem jobs.

Maybe it's simpler just to move the xml and ai to separate folders with my script.
Attachments
asd.PNG
asd.PNG (7.3 KiB) Viewed 4368 times