Job dismantler takes way too long

PixelSwitch

Job dismantler takes way too long

Post by PixelSwitch »

Hi everyone,

we are finally using Switch 2020 instead of Switch 13, but somehow we have problems with the job dismantler flow element in one certain flow.

The job folder that arrives there is always named like this: 1234567_Daten
There are always two PDF files, one XML file and several TIF files in it. They are named like this:

1234567_SomePDF_MN.pdf
1234567_Jobticket.pdf
1234567_Jobticket.xml
1. 1234567_CC3 (C).TIF
1. 1234567_CC3 (K).TIF
1. 1234567_CC3 (Red).TIF

I must mention that "1234567_SomePDF_MN.pdf" is already renamend, because I assumed that too many underscores in the filename could cause the job dismantler to break down (because something like "_12345_" in a filename like "1234567_abc_12345_whatever_MN.pdf" could look like a unique name prefix for Switch).

Nevertheless the job dismantler element works so far, but it takes very, very long to separate the files (approximately 2 minutes per file). Furthermore it starts with the TIF-files, continues with 1234567_SomePDF_MN.pdf and ends with the two last files (which are processed quickly). I assume that "1234567_SomePDF_MN.pdf" could be the reason, why the job dismantler works slowly. But are there any other possibilties than renaming the file? Or are there any other known problems?

Thanks a lot :)
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Job dismantler takes way too long

Post by freddyp »

Are you dismantling from an auto-managed folder to an auto-managed folder? If you are dismantling to an output folder that is on a network drive for example, the files are copied there and if they are big in size (basing myself on the name of the files and the fact that they are TIFF's I assume they are ripped bitmaps) that can take a while.

I see no relationship with the filenames. However many underscores there are, Switch will not mistake the first part for the unique ID.

You could also try "Ungroup job" to see if that makes a difference (I doubt it).
PixelSwitch

Re: Job dismantler takes way too long

Post by PixelSwitch »

Yes, I am dismantling from an auto-managed folder to an auto-managed folder and "Ungroup job" also couldn't help. But maybe I have found a mistake. The property "Strip unique name" of an "Assemble Job" element some steps before was set to "Yes". I don't know if Switch 13 already had this property... but changing it to "No" apparently makes the following "Job dismantler" work more quickly.

At least no filename issue ;)!