Question about Set Hierarchy Path coming from XML

RunDontStop

Question about Set Hierarchy Path coming from XML

Post by RunDontStop »

Please bear with me I am still learning. I have a question about Set Hierarchy Path, where the folder name is coming from an XML. I am running Switch Fall 2020 on iMac, which is running 10.15.7.

The flow starts with XML pickup, the metadata is the asset.

Set Hierarchy Path pulls a text string from the XML file:

<Job Number>-<Customer>-Job Name>

Adds at the top.

At the end of the flow is Archive Hierarchy. This points to a folder on the network NAS server, mounted on the Switch Mac as smb share. When I run the flow, I get a new folder named appropriately with the XML inside.

It is working great, no complaints. My question is simple. I created the flow several days ago, and the path in Set Hierarchy was this:

<Job Number>_<Customer>_Job Name

The only difference, underscores instead of hyphens.

This flow worked – usually. But with random circumstances, it would not. I found out if I changed the job name in the XML, or the customer, just ONE letter, or removed one letter, it would work. For several days I have tried to figure out this strange problem. Sometimes I got the XML loose on the Archive Hierarchy folder, no job folder structure at all. Other times I got no result, and nothing in the Problem Jobs. It’s like it just disappeared.

But by changing these underscores to hyphens, I don’t seem to have any problems now, it is always working!

Is there some kind of rule regarding the text that you use, in between the variables pulled out of the XML? So the separators, (hyphens now), are static text, in between the XML metadata text variables. I’m just wondering, why do hyphens work, and underscores don’t?
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Question about Set Hierarchy Path coming from XML

Post by jan_suhr »

It is probably an encoding issue on the NAS-server. In some cases the XML has to be iso-8859 encoded for certain characters to work.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Mark Casey

Re: Question about Set Hierarchy Path coming from XML

Post by Mark Casey »

Hi Guys

I'm having a similar issue, but the other way around

Whenever I use the Hyphen " - " the Output Path is always Lost

Once I remove the Hyphen then the Path is correct