Switch copy to server fails because hidden file or directory already exists

RunDontStop

Switch copy to server fails because hidden file or directory already exists

Post by RunDontStop »

I seem to encounter this problem quite often.

I am running Switch 2021 on a Mac. The Mac is iMac, late 2013 running OS 10.15.7 Catalina.

I have many flows that copy jobs to a NAS server mounted on the Mac via smb share.

Often my flows work well. But at random times, the files or folders simply will not copy to the NAS. In the message log it says "Failed to move job to Folder". The folder identified in the message is on the NAS.

I can turn on hidden files on the Mac. I can see that the files or folders are there on the NAS, but they are hidden. They also end up in Problem Jobs.

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this problem? I can't find anything wrong with the flows. It's just copying files. The very last step of the flow. That is what fails.

This doesn't happen with just one flow, it's any of them that copy to the NAS server. And it's hit and miss – some jobs complete, no problem, others fail. I have seen a job fail, then later I try the same job again and it goes through.
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Switch copy to server fails because hidden file or directory already exists

Post by Padawan »

Have you tried disabling "Safe Move" in the Folder or Archive Hierarchy flow element you use to place the file on the NAS?
RunDontStop

Post by RunDontStop »

I have not tried that! Maybe that will fix the problem! Thank you.

I have another question, somewhat related. I have a workflow that uses Submit Hierarchy. The folder is on the NAS server. In this folder we have LOTS of jobs. Switch is targeting very specific subfolders in each of these jobs as hot folders. So it is constantly polling this large mass of folders, looking for updates.

It seems to tax it because it takes a little while for files to get picked up and start moving through the flow, which is understandable.

But I am having a strange issue, and maybe there is a simple fix for this too. Early in the morning when no one is here, Switch starts reprocessing jobs. It's like it's seeing changes to hot folders in the Submit Hierarchy, but no one has dropped any files. This is random and I can't find a reason.

Looking through the message log, the Switch Mac seems to be losing connection to the NAS volume. There are errors where it keeps trying to remount it, but it fails.

But eventually, it does succeed and remounts the volume. Then it starts processing these folders, seeing changes but nothing has changed. I can tell you no one is here dropping files into these hot folders.

If I need to ask about this on a separate post I can. I thought it might be related because it deals with this Switch Mac communicating with the NAS volume. But thank you for the Safe Move info.
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

I've had issues which I was able to fix by using a bigger scan interval in the submit hierarchy. I'm not sure if it will help here. It might be worth to contact Enfocus Support about this.