I want PowerSWITCH to stop scanning dead-end folders

randomfactor

Post by randomfactor »

I have a PowerSWITCH flow which creates thumbnail images for pages in a PDF file. The flow works without any problems on a testing machine.

However, when I start or stop this flow in our production environment, it takes SEVERAL MINUTES to do so. I suspect that the cause is related to the large number of files in the "dead-end" folder at the end of the flow. It is actually a Windows Share from another machine and it contains thousands of thumbnail images which are used in a web application on that machine. Is PowerSWITCH scanning this dead-end folder?

Is there some other mechanism I should use to transfer the output files from a folder managed by PowerSWITCH over to the Windows Share folder? I'm thinking of creating a scheduled task which simply moves all files in a dead-end PowerSWITCH folder over to the Windows Share.

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 R2

PowerSWITCH: Version 8, Update 8
Evan

Post by Evan »

I don't think the number of file at the end is affecting the time it takes to stop a flow because I have a similar workflow. The only thing which is long is when you select this folder when editing your flow.

I don't always use auto-managed folder. When dealing with big files I link all folders inside my flow to a folder on my share so PowerSwitch is not always copying files between its hard disk and the Windows share. It maybe help.

Also, if you using custom script you should include an exit in case of error.
Evan

Post by Evan »

BTW, I use "Submit Hierarchy" at the end of my flow. I use PowerSwitch 9 on a Xserver with Window Server 2008 R2 for storing my files.
Rossini

Post by Rossini »

Hi!

We have also problems with the last folder.

If we use it as Backup of files and the number of files exceeds 99, SWITCH beginns to act slow and loose performance.

It would be great if we could turn of "counting of files" in a end folder.

/Henrik