Path Length - vector or compound path

cwswitch

Path Length - vector or compound path

Post by cwswitch »

Illustrator may not be the solution, but I have found that you can get the length of a path

Code: Select all

Window Menu > Document Info > (window opens) > (Pallet menu of window that just opened) > Objects 

and I have found a method via a script https://gist.github.com/nanoSpawn/8e8fca48d0fb85dd961e/

Problem I'm trying to solve

The problem I've been given is to calculate the length of the cut line in a file (normally PDF).

In our shop we have Zund iCut machines and we generate a cut file for each job which is a line in a custom spot colour called EyeCut. - the goal is to estimate how long a job will take to cut based on the length of the cut path.

This is to be as automated as possible.
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Path Length - vector or compound path

Post by Padawan »

Illustrator might be an option if you adjust the script you found to create an xml file with the length of the path in it and then also adjust it so it can be used within the Illustrator configurator. You can then pickup the xml later in the flow. This is just a wild idea btw, I haven't tried anything like this myself.

Do you need to know the exact amount of nodes in a path or is it enough to know if it is over a certain threshold? If you have PitStop Server, then you can use an Action List to check if the amount of nodes in a page is more then a certain threshold.

Create a new Action List and add the "Check number of nodes on page" action. You can fill in the treshold there. Alternatively you can use the "Select page by total number of nodes" and then let it follow by a "Log Selection". In the log selection you can then set a custom message to be logged.
cwswitch

Post by cwswitch »

Brilliant suggestion with Pitstop!

If I can get that working it's a very good step.

Let's see...
cwswitch

Post by cwswitch »

I got a great solution by following this path, thanks!

Bit of work off the back of this idea and I now get the job to output with the number of nodes in its file name.
Padawan wrote:If you have PitStop Server, then you can use an Action List to check if the amount of nodes in a page is more then a certain threshold.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

this is a nice idea for a future feature in PitStop.
@Cwswitch, could you contact me off forum and we can discuss exactly what you need reported regarding the cut path and we'll see what we can do.

;)

andrewb@enfocus.com
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com