Combining pdf's

Penguin

Combining pdf's

Post by Penguin »

I have a pdf that is 3500 pages but after I print I need the pages sorted into different files. example is all WVA together, all battlefield together, all national parks together. The 3500 was created from a merged mail file. The original database has 15 different tabs which the pdf will then be put back into. I'm not sure how this can be done other than in Acrobat manually. Please tell me somebody can help with this.

Thanks,
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Combining pdf's

Post by gabrielp »

Well, apart from building the PDFs twice from the beginning (one for print, the other for whatever other case you need in 15 sets), there is something I have done before. We added a key to each PDF (in this case, the name of your set/group). We actually made this text invisible but it was on each page. Then, you split the large PDF into a separate PDF for each page and use PDF Spy to extract the hidden key as a Switch variable. Then, route into sets with something like group/assemble and merge back into a single PDF. A whole lot of work and requires the use of PDF Spy but it did work. Hope this helps.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Thanks,
I'll look into PDf Spy
r.zegwaard

Post by r.zegwaard »

PDFtk might be another solution.
https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/

It's (almost) free software with also a "Server" product.