Custom metadata options

aandi

Custom metadata options

Post by aandi »

Looking for options for passing custom metadata from a Switch flow into an external app (run by a configurator script) which processes PDF. The metadata would be used to control functions.

1. Perhaps this might be what appears in Acrobat as "Custom metadata", that is name/value pairs stored in the XMP pdfx: namespace; this would also allow the user to inspect/set the values, which might appear as
<?xpacket ...?>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="... ">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
<rdf:Description rdf:about="" ... xmlns:pdfx="http://ns.adobe.com/pdfx/1.3/">
<pdfx:MyMetadataName1>My Metadata Value 1</pdfx:MyMetadataName1>
</rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

I can see there is an XMP scripting module, but can this be used to update a PDF within a flow?

2. Is there a possibility for the Switch user to add custom metadata to a job, in some form without scripting? Which could be picked up and passed by a configurator script?

3. Any other thoughts on custom metadata/custom instructions?

Thanks in advance!
aandi

Re: Custom metadata options

Post by aandi »

Maybe I could create an imaginary example to illustrate what the wish is.

Suppose we have a configurator called "PDF Emoji Stamper" which can add an emoji to page 1 of a PDF, by its name. This COULD be a configurator parameter in the flow
Emoji to stamp cowboy hat face

but this requires changing the flow to change the emoji for a job. Suppose we want the user to be able to set something attached to the job, which the configurator will use to set the per-job emoji. We would want this to be in a simple entry form for the basic user

CUSTOM VARIABLES
emojistamper1 cowboy hat face

and scriptable for the sophisticated user. There may be multiple ways to do this, but I'm looking for an approved/commonplace way rather than to invent something new and different.
Malcolm Mackenzie

Post by Malcolm Mackenzie »

Hi
One way
If you use the Client Web Interface then you can set the data to be entered in the Submit Point.
If needed this can be pre set and a job down list.
This can be extended out with the Submit points URLs.
That data is then xml associated with the job to use as a Var elsewhere.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

On folders you have the option to Set job private data. With this you can add any metadata you want to a metadata key that can then be used for whatever you want. Simply add Metadata Key=Whatever, i.e. RouteTo=GMG_Inca_Printolyte and then you can check this with a Condition with variables defined for instance: [Job.PrivateData:Key="RouteTo"] equals GMG_Inca_Printolyte.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
aandi

Post by aandi »

Thank you for the replies, I will look into both of these.