Querying data from XML using node names

reprokaiser

Post by reprokaiser »

Hi All,

I'm struggling with a problem for awhile. It's clear how to fetch specific data from an external dataset in PowerSwitch, but what if the data is a 'moving target'? Example:

var theDataset = job.getDataset("pi4"); // external dataset added by Callas pdfToolbox

var theOutputIntent = theDataset.evalToString( "/*/*[1]/*[4]/*[4]/*/*[4]" );

That's working fine, until the needed data is at the very same place. But in certain files the XPath should be something else, like "/*/*[1]/*[4]/*[5]/*/*[4]".

How can I query the needed info using the node names of the XML? Of course I know the node names, which are:

/report

/document

/resources

/output_intents

/output_profilename

Thanks in advance, kind regards,

Peter
rzacherl

Post by rzacherl »

Hi Peter,

simply by using the node (and maybe also attribute) names within your XPath expressions :-)

I don't have the structure of a callas pdfToolbox XML preflight report in front of me but relying on the information you wrote the correct XPath would be

/report/document/resources/output_intents/output_intent/output_profilename

As there might be more than one output intent in a PDF file you might access a specific one by using an index:

/report/document/resources/output_intents/output_intent[1]/output_profilename

or one or more pieces of additional information which uniquely identifies the node(s) within the XML like e.g. the PDF/X compliant output intent:

/report/document/resources/output_intents/output_intent[@subtype=GTS_PDFX]/output_profilename

Unfortunately this will not work because callas defines a default name space within their report XML files and therefore you will have to define a generic name space prefix within your XPath expressions:

/default_switch_ns:report/default_switch_ns:document/default_switch_ns:resources/default_switch_ns:output_intents/default_switch_ns:output_intent[@subtype='GTS_PDFX']/default_switch_ns:output_profilename

Regards

Robert
reprokaiser

Post by reprokaiser »

Hi Robert,

thanks for the quick help, it's working fine. I've never ever figured it out alone.

Kind regards,

Peter