Advanced member

Re: HP Smartstream N-up question

Post by sander »

Correct!
lombert

Post by lombert »

Cool! :D

May ask you more about this later on. We don't have Production Center yet.. :cry:
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Sure!

I'm fine tuning it at the moment, so you can sure take advantage of my findings. Will take a couple of days tho.

Are you planning to buy Production Center?
lombert

Post by lombert »

sander wrote:Sure!

I'm fine tuning it at the moment, so you can sure take advantage of my findings. Will take a couple of days tho.

Are you planning to buy Production Center?
Thanks!

Yes, we start talking about it last fall, but the distributor in Sweden didn't have any to show/demo to us. When the spring has being little turbulent here, but after the summer we should take new look at it..
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

That's the problem everyone is facing I guess. Last week I met a Japanese guy, there's no Production Center in that country so he had to look somewhere else. Same for us, we are the only one in our country running with it, so we get a lot of HP customers who visit us to look at it.
At least HP gave us a great try and buy agreement, so it was pretty safe to try it.

1.5 year ago, I would have my doubts recommending it. Today there's no doubt :mrgreen:

Ah well, I can talk days about everything. It's gonna be a cool year :)
lombert

Post by lombert »

Maybe we should check it out at your place then, always better to see it in real production. And a trip to the Netherlands is never wrong.. ;)
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Fine with me ;)

I still feel we are all inventing the same, everywhere in the world, over and over again. We should do it all together to achieve way more cool things!
lombert

Post by lombert »

sander wrote:I'm fine tuning it at the moment, so you can sure take advantage of my findings. Will take a couple of days tho.
How did it go? :)

I have one project that has grown like a avalanche, there I have more than 20 imposition template and over 90 xml-files (can grow to 250 :()

I'm really need to get a beter flow for this. And it seams that HP Production Pro has a bug so I can't use JDF to set the template. (It works 80% of the time, but random it don't pickup the correct imposition and it lays out the job at 1-up (it's a known bug, but I haven't heard any more about a solution.))

So auto-impose is the way.. Most I have Productions Center or can it be done with the HP Production Pro?
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

I think it can be done without Production Center, let me check later this day!

I'll get back to you.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Ok, just tested to be sure. There's no need for Production Center.

When I input a 297x210 A4 and request 50 copies;

With the auto-impose template, the copies quantity is adjusted to 25 (2 up in this case);

Result of a 1000x a 85x55 card;

I'm really busy, holiday seasons! But I'll look for a little time to screenshot my ticket templates etc.
lombert

Post by lombert »

sander wrote:Ok, just tested to be sure. There's no need for Production Center.

When I input a 297x210 A4 and request 50 copies;

With the auto-impose template, the copies quantity is adjusted to 25 (2 up in this case);

Result of a 1000x a 85x55 card;

I'm really busy, holiday seasons! But I'll look for a little time to screenshot my ticket templates etc.
Big Thanks! I'm testing with the Tim Stefl instructions, but I only get it to work with A4-ish (V-A4, H-A4 and 144x305 etc). A A5-ish don't get it right.
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Ok, let's go and see if I can remember everything I set correctly, I'll highlight the settings I remember that changed ;)

At the Job, Color, Print and Finish tabs there's no need for modifications, at least for the auto impose to work.

This is based on my auto impose simplex template.

Prepress

Imposition
Select default 1_up_sim imposition and ignore ALL errors, it doesn't matter.

Sheet

Layout

Marks

That's it. I couldn't get auto rotate to work correctly, so I rotate everything to landscape via PitStop Server. I noticed it is very important when doing imposition on the DFE (at least @ 5.2, I'm @ 6.0 now) to do Normalize Page Rotate Key!

Hope this helps man, else let me know!

Sander
lombert

Post by lombert »

Thanks Sander!

We have 5.2 so there is slightly different settings.. I can't find Imposition/Layout/allow rotation, but all other..

The Action Script;

Settings for this two:

Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

PM your email if you want the action list, maybe that's easier.

This one is for simplex, for duplex I use another one. Even pages -90, odd pages +90.

Also I do have another DFE running @ 5.2 so I can poke around a little over there if you can't get it to work.

Edit: posted twice the same screenshot, fixed now.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

I noticed Lombert and me went to mail contact instead of posting in this thread. Such a shame if we want to keep things open :)

Someone asked me this in pm so I'll post in this topic so anyone can benefit of these findings.
Hey Sander, what setting did you have to change on the iPC to correct the copy count issue when using n-up layout? Thanks for sharing about the automated imposition, it is very helpful and I really appreciate it.
On each iPC you have to do these steps in order to get a correct copy count.
Please note if you want to use this with impositions, other then auto-impose, it doesn't work with pre-rip impositions.
1. C:\indigo\Indigo.iPC.System.EntitiesUI.ConfigurationUtilityUI.exe
2. Click ConfigJobLoad
3. Uncheck CopyEqualSheets

Also please note if HP does a update of your iPC this setting is not preserved so be sure to instruct your DFE engineer to preserve/restore this setting.