HP Smartstream N-up question

youngy4130

HP Smartstream N-up question

Post by youngy4130 »

Hi

So I've been playing around with smartstream and it seems pretty good however...

I don't seem to be able to set a variable number up anywhere. For example if I want to use one imposition template (setting up page size, Marks gutters and so on) but I want to put different size pages through it and have it just fill the sheet.

I'll be setting up separate impositions for different sizes anyway but it would be nice to have a 'fill sheet' option regardless of size.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I've looked through the user guide and i can't seem to find anything about it.

Thank you!
sander
Advanced member

Re: HP Smartstream N-up question

Post by sander »

As far as I know this is not possible yet. This is why I made 2_up, 4_up etc. and rotate everything to landscape before imposing, to reduce total number of impositions needed. That way 2_up can hold anything between e.g. 297x210 or 210x297.

Do you import your SmartStream impositions in the DFE and impose there? If so, it might be worth waiting for Production Pro 6.0..
youngy4130

Post by youngy4130 »

I thought that might be the case... Either way its a huge improvement on our current setup.

What is production pro? Can't find anything on a quick google.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Excuse me, because you are talking about SmartStream I assumed you are working with HP Indigo presses. Thus working with their rip/controlling system Production Pro.

I've never thought of using SmartStream without other HP stuff, we are so HP-minded over here at the company ;)
youngy4130

Post by youngy4130 »

Oh my bad haha

Yeah I'm just looking for a good solution for our small format impositions we don't have indigo presses here so was just looking at using the imposition part of smartstream.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Well, I feel SmartStream imposition is approachable to users.

I've used the SmartStream configurator with Switch a lot, and I feel it's really easy to handle and very stable.

Only thing they should include in the configurator is the best fit button, that can save lots of time :lol:
aapl

Post by aapl »

Sander, the DFE will auto-impose and fill a sheet. We have Switch doing the rotate to make all pages 'tall' and then evaluate by size for either normal or Rotate90 ticket templates/hotfolders. Using Tim Stefl's Step-by-Steps for auto-impositions, we ended up with these hotfolders for all flatwork and saddle stitch jobs:

DFE_2016
DFE_2016 - EPM
DFE_2016 - EPM - Simplex
DFE_2016 - Gray
DFE_2016 - Gray - Simplex
DFE_2016 - Simplex
DFE_2016 R90
DFE_2016 R90 - EPM
DFE_2016 R90 - EPM - Simplex
DFE_2016 R90 - Gray
DFE_2016 R90 - Gray - Simplex
DFE_2016 R90 - Simplex
DFE_2016_4pagers_SS
DFE_2016_4pagers_SS - 2out
DFE_2016_4pagers_SS - 2out EPM
DFE_2016_4pagers_SS - 2out Gray
DFE_2016_4pagers_SS EPM
DFE_2016_4pagers_SS Gray

All are imposed for 13x19 sheet with .1" bleeds, offsets and gaps. I shudder at the thought of trying to impose and fill the sheet in SSD configurator in Switch and I agree it would be real nice if we could get same auto-imposing functionality in SSD!

Roger
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

aapl, that's really interesting. I've been looking for a way to do this properly on the DFE. I am going to look into it right away, and for sure read Tim's step by step first.

Your hotfolders are named DFE_2016, with which version of Production Pro do you work? I'm currently on 6.0 beta, which has the auto imposition function I was waiting for, you are on 6.0 too?
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

aapl, I'll buy you a beer if you ever dare to come to Holland, in the south.

The Tim Stefl's Step By Step auto impose is great, and even dating march 2015, how did I miss that :o
aapl

Post by aapl »

Hi Sander, we are at: 5.2.12.0.0.35291. The hotfolders imposing off trim box got a new naming style of 2016_DFE during development all to keep them separate from the older (live in production) ones based off bleed box. - Roger
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Ok, I have both 5.2 and 6.0 running at the moment, at 6.0 this trick works too.

Once HP told me the DFE is designed to automatic calculate the number of copies, e.g. 100 x 2 up = 50 copies set at the DFE. This is a thing I can't get to work, how's that in your situation?
aapl

Post by aapl »

I don't see how HPPro has enough information in order to calculate number of sheets to print. Maybe PrintOS will with print order info but I don't know much about that yet.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Well, in the job properties there's the repetition per sheet value, so at least it has something to calculate with.

I'll post if I find a solution.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Ok, I made progression. On each of my iPC's there's a setting changed.
Now, if I supply 100 copies and 2 up, the total sheets printed is 50 instead of default DFE behavior where it is set to 100 copies.

In my old templates I did the calculation and set the total copies. Now, just supply anything with x copies, and all is set.

With this, together with HP Production Center, I can supply any job and our project manager can decide where to print without changing imposition templates or whatever. Just drag it to one of our 7600's or 10.000 presses, all will be set correctly.

That.. is great! :mrgreen:
lombert

Post by lombert »

sander wrote:Ok, I made progression. On each of my iPC's there's a setting changed.
Now, if I supply 100 copies and 2 up, the total sheets printed is 50 instead of default DFE behavior where it is set to 100 copies.

In my old templates I did the calculation and set the total copies. Now, just supply anything with x copies, and all is set.

With this, together with HP Production Center, I can supply any job and our project manager can decide where to print without changing imposition templates or whatever. Just drag it to one of our 7600's or 10.000 presses, all will be set correctly.

That.. is great! :mrgreen:
So if you have a A4-folder, if you drop it at 7600 you get 1-up and if you drop it at 10000 you get a 2-up? With no extra setup? And it calculates to print half as many at the 10000?
Between jobs!