Detecting white overprint

AndreasF

Detecting white overprint

Post by AndreasF »

Hello

I work with ads, a lot of ads. Every month I handle about 800 ads, both ones I have produced and others sent by clients. I run each and everyone through Pitstop, just to be sure. This is not a problem with the ads I have made, but clients ads usually come up with lots of error or warning based on our settings. Most of them are easily resolvable and a breeze.

The problem isn’t really a frequent one, but lately we’ve had some advertisers getting very disappointed and angry due to white text or artwork (vector based) not showing up in print. I doesn’t happen a lot, but a lot of money is involved and I’m on the last line before printing, and I need a way to discover these before it’s too late.

I’ve googled for how to set up Pitstop to warn me about these things, but couldn’t find it, thats why I’m asking here!

How can I set up Pitstop to warn me about White text or artwork got overprinting. Is there a setting to make Pitstop remove overprinting on white text or artwork? Is there a risk in setting up something like that? Will normal non-overprinted white text be affected.

Attaching a screenshot of the issue.

How do I automate this? Without affecting the hundreds of ads that come out correctly. I need to manually run every ad through Pitstop and check them in 2-3 days, it’s very long hours and a automated procedure would save me some time, because checking each one sent by clients for overprinted whites will take too long. Overprinted black is already set up, but I can’t find the same for white.

I’m running PitStop Pro 11 update 2.

Thank you for your replies, and sorry for my English, it’s a second language.

Best regards
Andreas

bens
Advanced member

Re: Detecting white overprint

Post by bens »

Hi Andreas,

This can be checked with a Preflight Profile: create a new profile or edit an existing one, and in the "Text" and "Line Art" categories add the checks for "White text" resp. "White line art".

Ben
bens
Advanced member

Post by bens »

Also, if you really want automation, you may want to look into PitStop Server. I don't know if 800 ads per month is enough to justify the cost, but I'm sure your reseller or the Enfocus sales team would be happy to help with a ROI calculation :-)
AndreasF

Post by AndreasF »

Thank you for your help.

I did find the right setting for white text, but I can't find a corresponding one for line art.

Attaching a screenshot with available settings!
Do I miss something?

I will check the PitStop server, we will be handling more ads next year, so it might be something to look in to! Thank you! :)

Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

Which version of PitStop are you using? The check for "White lineart does not knock out" is there at least in version 12 update 3 and i version 13. I'm pretty sure, that the feature was introduced in PitStop 12.
AndreasF

Post by AndreasF »

Aaah, I see.

I'm on version 11 update 2. I guess a call to the department in charge is due.
Thank you for your help!