Help me fix/extend bleed in Pitstop

Steve-O

Help me fix/extend bleed in Pitstop

Post by Steve-O »

I have been given a Microsoft Publisher genterated pdf file that does not have bleed space and the author of the file does not know how to create a bleed space for trimming. I need to print the file with the bleed extended so that I can trim to the 8.5 x11 size. I am not fully trained in Pitstop so I am asking for help. Please give me the instructions I need in Pitstop to accomplish. Attached is a jpg file since the Forum software rejected the pdf I tried to attach.
publication_reduced.jpg
publication_reduced.jpg (186.86 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
The pdf is an 8.5 x11".

Thank you all for your help.
-Steve
german_raf

Re: Help me fix/extend bleed in Pitstop

Post by german_raf »

Steve-O wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:21 pm I need to print the file with the bleed extended so that I can trim to the 8.5 x11 size. I am not fully trained in Pitstop so I am asking for help. Please give me the instructions I need in Pitstop to accomplish. Attached is a jpg file since the Forum software rejected the pdf I tried to attach. publication_reduced.jpg The pdf is an 8.5 x11".

Thank you all for your help.
-Steve
Steve, you can make trim box in Adobe Illustrator. Or you can use Inspector/Position -Edit Page Boxes (Define Trim Box).
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Firstly, never, ever, edit a PDF in illustrator. It's not a PDF Editor.
Adobe themselves don't recommend this themselves, you will run into all sorts of problems.

Please try the Add Bleed Action List, Generate Bleed to 3mm if None, and Correctly Set all Page Boxes
You can find it in the standard Action Lists, under 'Add'.

The Action requires a Trim Box and a Bleed Box so that it knows where to start and finish the bleed.
I'm hoping that Publisher generates these. If it doesn't work let me know and maybe trying uploading the PDF in a zip file.
Either that or you can email it to me. andrew b@enfocus.com
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
german_raf

Post by german_raf »

abailescollins wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am Firstly, never, ever, edit a PDF in illustrator. It's not a PDF Editor.
Adobe themselves don't recommend this themselves, you will run into all sorts of problems.
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/usi ... files.html
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Don't confuse importing and editing.
As far as editing a PDF in Illustrator goes, and I quote:

On behalf of Adobe ...

Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat is not, repeat yet again is not a general purpose PDF editor!!!!!

(To be honest, I do understand why some people think to the contrary. Some very misguided Adobe marketing folks over ten years ago wrongly trumpeted the alleged "fact" that PDF was Adobe Illustrator's native file format. In fact it isn't and never was. Illustrator's native file format is buried as private data inside what looks like a PDF file!!!)

The only PDF files that Adobe Illustrator can safely edit are PDF files that are created by the save as PDF feature of a version of Adobe Illustrator equal or less than the version you are editing with and the "preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" option was checked when the PDF file was created. When such PDF files are created, two copies of the content are put into the PDF file - the first copy is PDF content and the second content is "private Illustrator data" which represents the content as processed in Illustrator including layer information, swatches, group information, etc. When you open a PDF file in Adobe Illustrator, an attempt is made to find that private Illustrator data. That is what is safely opened in Illustrator. If that private Illustrator data does not exist, Adobe Illustrator attempts to interpret the PDF data and convert it into equivalent Illustrator objects. Not all PDF objects are part of the Illustrator imaging model and there are some incompatibilities. For example, with the exception of linked placed objects, every graphical object in a PDF file must be in the same color space. Thus, if your non-Illustrator PDF file has multiple color spaces, it will converted to only one color space. Folks, that is a very lossy operation! Likewise, character encodings may change and may be corrupted. And some objects in your non-Illustrator PDF may be significantly modified in ways you may not find acceptable and/or discarded.

Bottom line ... in an emergency, use of Illustrator to modify or extract PDF content may work, but it is definitely not something that is valid use in a generalized PDF print publishing workflow for examining or otherwise editing a PDF file. And if you ignore this advise, you will get what you justly deserve.

- Dov

https://printplanet.com/forum/prepress- ... llustrator
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
german_raf

Post by german_raf »

It's just opinion. Private.
My opinion - if you can't, don't do it.