print only spot colors

drcpub

print only spot colors

Post by drcpub »

Hi, trying to find a feasible way to just print all spot colors in a pdf, combined onto one piece of paper for proofing purposes. The spot colors need to be seen separate from the 4-color process. Ideally, I would like to show just the 4 color as well without the spots. Was wondering if anyone knows a way in pitstop to do this?. I have versions 18 and 20 available to me. If not pitstop maybe someone knows of a plugin or an application that handles this?

Thanks in advance
laurentd

Re: print only spot colors

Post by laurentd »

Very easy, here are the two action lists:
Delete spot colors.png
Delete spot colors.png (73.25 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Delete all but spot colors.png
Delete all but spot colors.png (78.38 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
Using PitStop Server and Switch Core Engine (licensed with PitStop Server), you can automate this:
duplicate the document, apply each action list, and rename the two files.
Laurent De Wilde, Solution Architect @ Enfocus
drcpub

Post by drcpub »

Taking this slightly further, is it possible to move any spot colors to their own layer, by color name? This person I work for is ok if the color difference is great. But when the colors are similar with just subtle difference between shades, he wants them on their own laser so he can clearly see what is what. It would be helpful if an action would put each pantone color on it's own layer. Is it possible this can be done?

Thank you very much in advance.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

It's possible, but firstly understand that layers in Acrobat are not like layers in Illustrator.
They have a different purpose, and you don't 'move' objects to a layer, you assign them to a layer.

Also understand the limitations, an object with a defined spot color will be put on a layer, but if that object has two spot colors, it will be assigned to two layers. If it was a multi-channel image with CMYK+Spot, the whole image would be assigned to a layer.

If you are thinking of using layers to simulate separations, the above is important.

Assigning objects with a spot color to a layer is a simple Action.
> Select Spot Color by name
> Add objects to layer with name

The challenge is you have to know the names of the spot colors, there is now way to say 'put all spot colors on individual layers' or at least not yet!
So the list of colors could be lengthy, and you might have to keep adding colors as you build up the list.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
drcpub

Post by drcpub »

Hi and yes that is how I was viewing it. Basically I need to provide a color overlay (color laser) of each spot color separation on top of an composite epson. So the person can see how the spot colors are broken down. Sometimes the specs they give have spot colors that are close to being the same color visually. Or on the process, a color that looks similar to a spot color used might appear to be a spot. So in the case of similar spot colors I need to be able to provide a color laser print of each spot color as a paper overlay. I have an action that separates process from spots, but it puts all spots together. It works great when all spots used are clearly different and easily understood to be a different color. In that case only one overlay is needed. When similar colors, there needs to be an overlay for each.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

I feel your pain, back in the day we used to do wet proofs and 'progressives' to show the different separations to customers.
It's a little harder digitally!
Must be a nightmare to produce?

This is a situation where an online PDF proof would be much easier, the customer could turn the separations on/off as needed to see the separation breakdown.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
drcpub

Post by drcpub »

I'm still trying to make a comeback from covid. That wiped out 4 of my 6 most active clients. I do this on a part time basis, so 6 was really a handful. If I want this guys work, this is how they want it. They get pdf's also, I assume they would check things there but they require hard proofs. And it's only the overlays that are too close in color that is the problem. With good color difference 1 overlay with all the spots are perfectly fine. Doesn't happen all the time, don't want to loose someone else cause of a technicality. LOL. BTW, thanks very much for your input and suggestions, I very much appreciate it!