converting custom spot colors vs transparency

jcarp

converting custom spot colors vs transparency

Post by jcarp »

Hello! I am Running PitStop Pro 2018.

My need is to update pieces to custom spot colors to meet branding requirements.

When I use the Rename Spot Color rule, I am able to change from the old naming convention to the new naming convention without an issue.

When I use any other methodology – Remap Spot Color, search for a CMYK value to convert it to a custom spot color, etc., it knocks out any transparency from the object and we are left with surprises.

The need to update by CMYK values is very important because of the source files we run into . . . is there a way to do search for (the CMYK equivalent of Custom Spot Color #1) and change fill color to (user swatch Custom Spot Color #1) while maintaining transparency?

Further, when I search for the old custom spot colors and convert to the correct/updated CMYK values, can I then convert those CMYK values as above, without losing the transparency?

Thank you.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: converting custom spot colors vs transparency

Post by abailescollins »

It's difficult for me to diagnose issues with older versions, but I can honestly say I've not heard of this before.
I've tried remapping and it retains transparency. It's certainly not a problem in the 2021 version.

Are you using Action lists to do the conversions, or global changes?
Can you give some more details please.

I gather you are converting from CMYK to Spot, and Spot to Spot?
If you have any examples you can share that would help with analyzing what's going on.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com