Check for missing fonts

PdFUser5000

Check for missing fonts

Post by PdFUser5000 »

We print our PDFs on the server with Illustrator. Sometimes fonts are used that are not installed on the server. This means that the text is output to the pdf with the default font. Is there a way to identify this error with pitstop? I tried checking for embed/unembed fonts, but i don't get no errors. Is this even possible ?
laurentd

Re: Check for missing fonts

Post by laurentd »

If a font is not embedded in the pdf, PitStop can report that.
But if the missing font in Illustrator was substituted by a default one that is correctly embedded in the pdf, PitStop can not report that.
If you know the name of that default font and never use it anywhere else, you can report this with PitStop. (select font by name + log selection)

Now, if you use Switch to export the Illustrator file to pdf, you have some properties concerning fonts:
  • use fonts in package
  • fail jobs with unavailable fonts.
Laurent De Wilde, Solution Architect @ Enfocus
PdFUser5000

Post by PdFUser5000 »

laurentd wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:10 pm If a font is not embedded in the pdf, PitStop can report that.
But if the missing font in Illustrator was substituted by a default one that is correctly embedded in the pdf, PitStop can not report that.
If you know the name of that default font and never use it anywhere else, you can report this with PitStop. (select font by name + log selection)

Now, if you use Switch to export the Illustrator file to pdf, you have some properties concerning fonts:
  • use fonts in package
  • fail jobs with unavailable fonts.
When i change the setting to Fail jobs with unavailable fonts, i get the following error:

C:\ProgramData\Enfocus\Switch\13.1\scripted-plugins\com.enfocus.AdobeIllustrator\Illustrator_SaveAsPDF.vbs(42, 26) Adobe Illustrator: Error 45: Object is invalid. Line: 146 -> var allLayers = $doc.layers;

I am using a script to print the files as pdf, if that changes anything. The error only happens when a missing font is in the file.
laurentd

Post by laurentd »

That error is not normal, we'll check with the dev team.

If you use a script to save the file as pdf, you could first check the fonts in the script as well.
Laurent De Wilde, Solution Architect @ Enfocus
PdFUser5000

Post by PdFUser5000 »

laurentd wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:00 pm That error is not normal, we'll check with the dev team.

If you use a script to save the file as pdf, you could first check the fonts in the script as well.
It only fails when i use a script in the Command part of the illustrator element. If i remove it, the Fail fonts script works.