Automatically flatten or flag transparencies?

the_paper_pusher

Automatically flatten or flag transparencies?

Post by the_paper_pusher »

I am looking for a way to flag and fail files with transparency. Unfortunately we are on a very old version of our imposition software and files with transparencies causes problems

I have already tried the auto flattening feature within Pitstop Server and, though it seems to work most of the time, it can result in issues. We are looking for a way to catch all problematic files with one method.

Anybody have any ideas?
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Automatically flatten or flag transparencies?

Post by Padawan »

What issues do you have?

If you want to convert spot to cmyk, then it is necessary to do so in a separate hotfolder, before the flattening hotfolder.

(you can make the output folder of the first hotfolder the input of the second)
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Automatically flatten or flag transparencies?

Post by abailescollins »

Any PDF/X-1a Preflight Profile is going to flag transparency, or you can create a Preflight Profile or Action List to error on transparency.

When you say 'auto flattening' I presume you are meaning the transparency flattener in the hot folder configuration.
This is the Adobe transparency flattener as used in Indesign, Acrobat and Illustrator. You should not have any issues that cannot be resolved by configuration.

You don't mention what version of PitStop Server you are on, but a better approach would be to tackle the issues you are seeing!
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com