Add Bleed [UPDATED 12-23-2015]

printlab

Add Bleed [UPDATED 12-23-2015]

Post by printlab »

Hello,

I am having trouble creating an action list to add bleed to a PDF, specifically a business card. Here's what I want to do:

1) Check if an image reaches the edge of the paper.
2) If it does add 0.0625 in of bleed to each side that is close to the edge.
3) Resize the PDF to show the bleed within the trim box (3.625 in x 2.125 in).

Here is what I have currently:

[EDITED 12-23-2015]
Select all
Change bleed box to media size
Change media box to trim box size
Resize media box by (0.0625 in, 0.0625 in, 0.0625 in, 0.0625 in)
Change art box to media box size
Change crop box to media box size
Select objects inside region
Resize bleed box by (0.0625 in, 0.0625 in, 0.0625 in, 0.0625 in)
Add bleed (0.0625 in on each side, Mirror margins checked, add bleed in corners checked)

[UPDATE 12-23-2015]

This action group works for most files, including other PDF sizes, however there appears to be one issue...

Thanks to the logs and descriptions of properties PitStop Server 13 creates, I believe my issue relies on files that have no defined trim box or the trim box has a weird size to begin with that doesn't match the art, crop, or media box (since all 4 of the boxes should be the same to correctly add bleed), and is causing these files to add bleed incorrectly or not at all.

In other words, I see no action or preflight in both PitStop Server 13 or PitStop Pro 13 that allows defining or changing the trim box size.

Any thoughts or suggestions anybody may have? Thank you!
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Add Bleed [UPDATED 12-23-2015]

Post by abailescollins »

Hi Printlab
Maybe to back up a bit and start from the beginning.
The new Add Bleed functionality requires a Trim Box and a Bleed Box to be present. The Bleed Box should also be sufficiently bigger than the Trim Box.

So the way to handle the issue depends on the status of the original PDF file. If there is no Trim Box or Bleed Box, or if they are present but the same size, the Add Bleed won't work.

There are Actions to Add the different Page Boxes and manipulate them, you can also select pages if Page Box is not present and warn on it, or select pages without a Trim Box and then add a Trim Box.

If you want to contact me off forum to go through the problem and solution, please feel free. If you have sample files, that's even better.

Email is andrewb@enfocus.com
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com