Adding margin / Scaling

strido

Adding margin / Scaling

Post by strido »

I'd like to add a margin to pages that have objects that go to the edge. Essentially remove the bleed. However, some pages have content that is too close to the edge, so a margin would actually cover it up.

Therefore I need to scale it 97%.

I've run into a problem with that though - from time to time there are some pages with objects that extend beyond the media box, so if I simply reduce it, it's still at the edge of the page. This also presents an issue when I try to make a PitStop Server hotfolder. If the objects are transparent, it'll seem like there isn't content that goes to the edge but there really is.

I've tried to make an action list that just checks for objects close to the edge then I reduce it but since there are some that go beyond the boundaries of the media box it's a spotty solution at best.
strido

Re: Adding margin / Scaling

Post by strido »

I should probably mention I'm using PitStop Pro 10, and (don't laugh) Server 3.5
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Can you explain why you need to do that and what you are trying to achieve?
There might be a better way to do it.

regards

abc
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
WRHornBeMe

Post by WRHornBeMe »

abailescollins wrote:Can you explain why you need to do that and what you are trying to achieve?
There might be a better way to do it.

regards

abc
I am new to scripting and have a similar issue. I have about 4000 pages in several PDFs that will be reproduced and put into 3-ring binders. So I need to ensure the Inside margins are at least 5/8"-3/4" and maintain the other margins. I see the script to Check margins for bleed but how do I combine checking the margins on a page, and if needed, then performing a scale on content? Is there a forum/location that contains scripted solutions that others have already made? Then I can modify to fit my needs?
Regards:
William
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Action Lists are sometime pretty specific to an issue or job, I think this case is one of those.
Can you send a couple of sample pages, preferably including a left and right hand page.

Either upload them here or mail me at 'andrewb@enfocus.com' and we'll make something for you.

I think the Action we are going to need is called 'Move Page Content' and we'll need two different values, one for left hand and another for right hand pages.

So the Action List is going to look something like
Select Odd Pages
Move Page Content
Select Even Pages
Move Page Content

This would move all the content on the pages, so it might be it'll need some tweaking if there are any elements (headers/footers) that might not need to be moved.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com