Action Change Position

msierra

Action Change Position

Post by msierra »

Trying to create an Action to move selected items to a specific position.

Action List

Select objects inside region (works great)
Change Position, Would like to move using reference point Center Right for X but leave Y position as is. Action Change Position requires both X and Y values be defined. Is there anyway to allow Y to inherit current selections Y position?

This can be done manually using Inspector/Position but want to use an Action from PitStop server Hotfolder.
loicaigon
Advanced member

Re: Action Change Position

Post by loicaigon »

hello,

The actions list contains a "change position" option where you can move selection relatively on X a/o Y axis.
ChangePosition.eal.zip
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
HTH

Loic
msierra

Re: Action Change Position

Post by msierra »

Thank you for the reply and I apologize, I should have been clear with my post.

We need to move a selection of text lines to a specific position based on a center right reference point. The Clients layout specs are, Address block: Address text is left justified and must be positioned .25" inches from right trim based on the longest line of text. Manually with PitStop Inspector this is easy to accomplish.

Note: Moving relative to selection uses the selected object[s] absolute center as the reference point so with this case would not work.

What Change Position should offer is to move selected items to a specific position based on a reference point e.g. center right, left center etc.

I was close in finding a solution by changing bleed box so the right side is .25" from bleed. Then changed the art box to the selection, which is the text to move. Then moved the art box with Action Move page box, which offers movements based on a reference point, to bleed box right. That is move art box to the bleed box based on reference point center right. Then re-selected the text to move and placed it into the Art Box (Action Move objects into the page box). So close but when selecting the lines of text, descender's are not considered as part of the selections dimension. So the "Y" position is moved a bit as well.

Ideally this would be resolved at the time the PDF is composed but our proprietary proofing system, for now is locked into InDesign 5.5. InDesign 6.0 and above provides the correct solution.