Gradient - Convert to CMYK

Liv

Gradient - Convert to CMYK

Post by Liv »

I have a file that I would like to use an action for. It is a gradient with mixed Spot & Process Colors, when I use the "Convert Color to CMYK" it changes the overall 'look' of the gradient. I have tried flattening it, saving it as a .ps file and then distilling it. This doesn't work either, it converts everything else but the gradient.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Gradient - Convert to CMYK

Post by abailescollins »

Postscript doesn't support ICC based Color Management so that's not going to help.

Obviously some colors are going to look different so it's difficult to give an answer without seeing the file.
If you can upload even just the gradient it might help.

Do you have a CMYK breakdown you would like to use for the Spot Colors that are used in the Gradient.
That might be an interesting first step.

You might also check your color management settings, also it would be interesting to know if which alternate colorspace the spot colors have.
If they are Lab for instance then the end result depends very much on your color management, than if they were CMYK based.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
Liv

Post by Liv »

I uploaded a screenshot, it wouldn't allow me to upload a pdf. Anyways we receive various files from customers, it could be a pdf, with a gradient that has a CMYK color at one end and the other end is a spot. Then there could be a RGB image with a transparency. We print large format to multiple substrates/printers. I am working on creating a workflow in Switch using Pitstop Actions - with the one unknown.... if the customer supplied file may not be perfect.
Attachments
example
example
Test.PNG (204.07 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Ok, there's a lot going on here and a lot that can be incorrect in the file leading to bad results.

Can you send me a couple of files. andrewb@enfocus.com

What's your ideal workflow?

If you are dealing with multiple large format print engines it could be that you are best to leave the Devices Rip to render these files.
Especially if you have devices with extended ink sets and larger color gamuts.
Possibly the spot color lookup tables might give better results than converting everything to CMYK which would have a smaller color gamut.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com