Maintain layers in Illustrator.

Leogirl

Maintain layers in Illustrator.

Post by Leogirl »

I have a PDF saved from a previous AI template with 4 separate layers. The AIT files was resaved as a PDF. I then open the resaved PDF in Acrobat and assign artwork to certain layer and save. When I open the PDF in Illustrator all of the layers are lost. I understand layers are different in Acrobat vs Illustrator. We are merging an artwork file and assigning onto a certain layer and trying to maintain those layers in Illustrator. Everything looks right in Acrobat . Has anyone had any luck with this?
Angela Smith
Zoranj

Re: Maintain layers in Illustrator.

Post by Zoranj »

As you mentioned, layers are different in Acrobat and Illustrator.
Another important aspect is that Illustrator is not PDF editor.
What you should be doing is keeping master file in Illustrator with layers, doing edits and than saving final version of PDF with option to save layers.
That way you will have identical looking file in both AI and Acrobat.

As far as I am aware, you can not go backwards, again since Illustrator might need to "interpret" PDF objects and destroy information.
I hope this helps.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Maintain layers in Illustrator.

Post by abailescollins »

What he said, but a bit more understanding.

When you save a PDF from Illustrator with the option to go back to illustrator you get a kind of hybrid PDF file.
It actually has two files in it, the .ai file and the PDF.

There is a little piece of code called 'PieceInfo' that ensures these two files are in sync.
This is important, as you could have a file that looks different in Acrobat and Illustrator.

When you edit the PDF outside of Illustrator (PitStop for example) that PieceInfo is deleted.
That is done to ensure the above.

So bascially editing outside of illy and then trying to reopen in illy is not going to work.

FYI
https://printplanet.com/threads/pdf-sav ... es.291484/
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com