FTP Receive

ACPNick

FTP Receive

Post by ACPNick »

Hello
Hope this is an easy fix for someone.

We have a customer who sends us a link to a varying FTP folder location for every job. The root folder is always the same but then there is multiple subfolders within that.
I thought I could create a simple Switch Client with Meta only for the sales team where they copy and paste the address line to then populate the FTP Receive. Unfortunately my idea didn't work with my knowledge. I don't know how to populate the Folder Name part.
Using the Meta and either Define Folder Patterns/Define Regular Expression/Define Script Expression

Examples of paths
clsftp.customer.com/Reprint/Book Series/Book1
clsftp.customer.com/New Titles/Book1

Hope this makes sense
Kind regards
Nick
tvahey

Re: FTP Receive

Post by tvahey »

Set the FTP receive to point to the root of the FTP server.
Set the property "Attach Hierarchy info" to yes.
Use the hierarchy information to route your jobs appropriately.
example [Job.Hierarchy:Index="1"]
ACPNick

Post by ACPNick »

Thanks tvahey for a quick response

I have had a look at implementing your theory. But couldn't understand how it works. Do you have an example you could share?

My thinking was "Attach Hierarchy Info" was for when the files are found and I want to store files later in the flow with the same naming convention?
FTP Receive.png
FTP Receive.png (29.9 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
My problem is collecting the files from The Root folder eg "Nick FTP Test" Whih has Multiple Tiltes in but we only need to Recieve the ones requested.
I was thinking "Process These Folders - All Folders" and "Excluding Folders Not Named" Populating the "Folder name " to whatever the path requested is eg "Reprint/Book Series/Book1 or New Titles/Book1 or any other title they need"
but there is a very good chance I am wrong in my thinking :lol:

Thanks again
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Post by JimmyHartington »

I do not think you can get the FTP Receive to do what you want.
FTP Receive does not allow input connections.

If you make a submit point where somebody inputs the data about where to get the files, then you should be able to use a command line utility to get the file.
Will it be the customer or an internal customer relations person, which will input the data?

If you use FTP Receive as in your example and have Leave originals checked, then you should be able to download everything from a certain folder level.
But it will get download in the intervals defined at FTP Receive and not when somebody initates the job via a submit point.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

From the metadata you receive from the Submit point you could instead use the HTTP Request and use the GET command to pick up the file from the FTP-server. I might need to be set to accept HTTP calls.

That would be the simplest sollution.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
ACPNick

Post by ACPNick »

JimmyHartington wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:24 am I do not think you can get the FTP Receive to do what you want.
FTP Receive does not allow input connections.

If you make a submit point where somebody inputs the data about where to get the files, then you should be able to use a command line utility to get the file.
Will it be the customer or an internal customer relations person, which will input the data?

If you use FTP Receive as in your example and have Leave originals checked, then you should be able to download everything from a certain folder level.
But it will get download in the intervals defined at FTP Receive and not when somebody initates the job via a submit point.
That sounds promising. Any guidance on what the command line prompt should look like would be great. The Submit point I made for this is just a single line text for our in house Sales Team to copy paste from their PO/Email and various other routes.
Attachments
FTP Submit Point.png
FTP Submit Point.png (36.15 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
ACPNick

Post by ACPNick »

jan_suhr wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:39 am From the metadata you receive from the Submit point you could instead use the HTTP Request and use the GET command to pick up the file from the FTP-server. I might need to be set to accept HTTP calls.

That would be the simplest sollution.
Thanks for this option too. So all I need to find out if the Customers FTP accepts HTTP calls is that correct?
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

Yes
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps